Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet! Here are some video pointers that I hope will help you. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Terry.
Thanks for the info. It was very helpful. You gave me some ideas on what to start looking around for.
:occasion14:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Welcome!

At the top of the page is a tab "The Hunt Starts Here." Check it out.

Several of the supporting vendors (bottom of the page) have Q&A's with useful information. Start with Kellyco, as an example.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome!

At the top of the page is a tab "The Hunt Starts Here." Check it out.

Several of the supporting vendors (bottom of the page) have Q&A's with useful information. Start with Kellyco, as an example.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Thanks old Bookaroo. I started in there and it has tons of stuff, Taking notes, bookmarking vendors. This is awesome!!!:occasion14:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will say this when I first decided to get int metal detecting I had few thoughts that went through my head one of those was did I want to purchase a entry level detector or one that I could grow into for me I decided to go with one I could grow into and not have to upgrade to a better unit if I did not have to so I went to several retailer that were in my area and looked at all the options that was available i did not want the most expensive but neither did I want the least expensive so my first detector was the X-Terra 705 and yes it was a huge learning curve but I do not regret the purchase the second detector I purchased for my wife which was the AT Pro

My point is go to several stores in your area and look at whats out there and then make your decision as to which one you want seeing them in person and reading about them are to completely different thing. when you see them in person the dealer can show you things that just reading about them can not

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will say this when I first decided to get int metal detecting I had few thoughts that went through my head one of those was did I want to purchase a entry level detector or one that I could grow into for me I decided to go with one I could grow into and not have to upgrade to a better unit if I did not have to so I went to several retailer that were in my area and looked at all the options that was available i did not want the most expensive but neither did I want the least expensive so my first detector was the X-Terra 705 and yes it was a huge learning curve but I do not regret the purchase the second detector I purchased for my wife which was the AT Pro

My point is go to several stores in your area and look at whats out there and then make your decision as to which one you want seeing them in person and reading about them are to completely different thing. when you see them in person the dealer can show you things that just reading about them can not

Thanks for the info. How long have you been doing this for?
I agree with your thinking as to buy cheapest is usually a regret. Somewhere in the middle is my thought and my son and I scoured the web looking for info and luckily they have videos of the ones we like in use so we got to see them in action, per say. Stinky part is all the places near me are not open on the weekend. Whats up with that? How can I look and buy if you are not open? Damn internet... ruining sopping for those who like to go browse in person.

I kind of like the Fisher F44 and Bounty Hunter Platinum... will see if anyone on here has any feedback for these items.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Think about buying a good used detector to start with. You can save some money and buy your next one with what you've found.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Think about buying a good used detector to start with. You can save some money and buy your next one with what you've found.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

I disagree. I feel a new "Greenhorn," should not buy a used machine. They have no experience or frames of reference to understand possible problems to look for, or how the machine actually performs. Buy your FIRST machine from a DEALER, who can show you how to use the features of the machine, help you understand how to put it together, take it apart, go over the user manual with you, and be there if you have a problem. Buy the best you can afford, usually between $500-$700.00. Later, when you know what you're doing, you can buy fro Kellyco or a used machine. :skullflag:

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

I disagree. I feel a new "Greenhorn," should not buy a used machine. They have no experience or frames of reference to understand possible problems to look for, or how the machine actually performs. Buy your FIRST machine from a DEALER, who can show you how to use the features of the machine, help you understand how to put it together, take it apart, go over the user manual with you, and be there if you have a problem. Buy the best you can afford, usually between $500-$700.00. Later, when you know what you're doing, you can buy fro Kellyco or a used machine. :skullflag:

I kinda think I should go with new as well. I am learning about these things and some have way too many bells and whistles for me as a new guy.
I was browsing the used and lets face it, sometimes you just don't know what you are getting for used. Was it really "just opened" or was it really "only used once". Unless I know who I am buying from, I usually buy new.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I am almost always in favor of doing business with a local business. In your case, that sounds like it might be problematic if they aren't open on weekends.

A local dealer can provide a wealth (heh, heh) of advice - not only on machines, but on other important areas, as well.

Many dealers sell used detectors and stand behind them. Like exercise machines (particularly treadmills - how many of those have you seen being used as expensive clothes racks?) and other hobby equipment, folks buy and then decide it's just not for them.

I certainly wouldn't suggest someone just starting out purchase a used detector from an individual unless it's a trusted family member or friend, or someone in a local club.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am almost always in favor of doing business with a local business. In your case, that sounds like it might be problematic if they aren't open on weekends.

A local dealer can provide a wealth (heh, heh) of advice - not only on machines, but on other important areas, as well.

Many dealers sell used detectors and stand behind them. Like exercise machines (particularly treadmills - how many of those have you seen being used as expensive clothes racks?) and other hobby equipment, folks buy and then decide it's just not for them.

I certainly wouldn't suggest someone just starting out purchase a used detector from an individual unless it's a trusted family member or friend, or someone in a local club.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Is that what that thing is under my clothes? LOL, had an ex like that.
Might take a half day to go to store as they are really close.
Thanks for your help!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
All my advice is 100% guaranteed to be worth what you paid for it - or double your money back!

In the end, you need to find a local dealer you can get along with. Somebody who is helpful and friendly and will take time to walk you through it.

In turn, you support that local business when you need something and everybody's better off.

For almost twenty years I would walk down the street to our local hardware store and buy what I needed to fix what was broken at our home. The advice I got was worth as much or more than what I took home. It only took a few minutes, I didn't load up a cart with a bunch of stuff I really didn't need, and I could walk the dogs back again because when it comes to Honey-Do's I'm generally a three-trip guy.

First trip to diagnose the problem.

Second trip to buy what I need to fix it.

Third trip to buy what I didn't buy on the second trip.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All my advice is 100% guaranteed to be worth what you paid for it - or double your money back!

In the end, you need to find a local dealer you can get along with. Somebody who is helpful and friendly and will take time to walk you through it.

In turn, you support that local business when you need something and everybody's better off.

For almost twenty years I would walk down the street to our local hardware store and buy what I needed to fix what was broken at our home. The advice I got was worth as much or more than what I took home. It only took a few minutes, I didn't load up a cart with a bunch of stuff I really didn't need, and I could walk the dogs back again because when it comes to Honey-Do's I'm generally a three-trip guy.

First trip to diagnose the problem.

Second trip to buy what I need to fix it.

Third trip to buy what I didn't buy on the second trip.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

I hear you. I would rather go to the local hardware store, give them my money and get a lil help if needed . Might be a couple $$ more but they are local small business not big lowes with people who dont know much and dont care.

Any experience with Fisher F44 or Bounty Hunter Platinum?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I do not have personal experience with either of those.

I'm sure you will find folks here who have.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Last edited:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info. How long have you been doing this for?
I agree with your thinking as to buy cheapest is usually a regret. Somewhere in the middle is my thought and my son and I scoured the web looking for info and luckily they have videos of the ones we like in use so we got to see them in action, per say. Stinky part is all the places near me are not open on the weekend. Whats up with that? How can I look and buy if you are not open? Damn internet... ruining sopping for those who like to go browse in person.

I kind of like the Fisher F44 and Bounty Hunter Platinum... will see if anyone on here has any feedback for these items.

I have been detecting off and on for about 6-10 years i did the same thing you are doing read a lot and go on forums and read what was being said but I never did sign up on any forums until just recently I myself am more of a see it in person as I can read about something all day long and still do not understand what I am reading until I experience it in hand.
So that's why I suggested you go to a dealer and look at them in person I figured out which ones I was most interested in and then called around to find which dealers had them in stock so I could physically hold them in my hand I was also lucky enough to find a dealer that met me at my house with a few so I could see the differences which was a big help to me he let me play around with them an showed me things about them that you cant see just reading about them it was a big help in my decision

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the reply.
WoW, I am surprised a dealer brought out gear to your house. Wish I had someone like that around here.
Hard to go to a shop as the ones around me are only open the same hours I work with no hours on the weekend.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the reply.
WoW, I am surprised a dealer brought out gear to your house. Wish I had someone like that around here.
Hard to go to a shop as the ones around me are only open the same hours I work with no hours on the weekend.

I kind of had the same issue as you also but when I explained my issue to the dealer about being able to get to his place of business when he was open was not possible for me he was gracious enough to make arrangements so I could look at the detectors I was wanting to.

he went way above what he should have for me and that told me he was wanting to make a sale and willing to go the extra effort to do so not many like that around anymore I suspect though another thing he did anytime I had questions or was having issues I could not figure out he would offer to come by my place to help me out he did become a pretty good friend and I ended up purchasing a second detector from him for my wife a few years later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread