Looking for help

ctdigger01

Mar 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all ,new to the forum and need some help with trouble shooting an old Garrett American S2 detector.
This detector does not detect any metal objects at all. I have checked the coil and it has resistance in both transmit and receive wires. The unit will tune, make noises when the button is pushed but will not detect any metal or coins. I would appreciate any help I can get. I have spoken to Garrett and they do not have parts for this unit and can not repair it. So if anyone has one that is working and can help let me know, the machine is in good condition and I want to get it running again.
Thanks in advance
crdigger01

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
From what I have read that machine came out in the early 1980's built on technology from 1977.

My question to you is this. Is it worth spending money to repair? It looks like you can buy a Garrett S3 for under 80.00 on E-bay. Here is a listing of completed auctions. None are up for sale right now that I could find.
garrett groundhog metal detector | eBay

Maybe someone can help with your problem. Maybe also you can just buy a coil to see if the coil is defective.

DanWho

Feb 16, 2016
IOWA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium and
Whites Eagle II S (yes its older than some of the young'uns here)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to try on geotech forums. They have a lot of electronics types there.

That being said, the first places I would look are the socket at the front of the box and then inside to see if the connection is still good or if the little bristles inside the plug still put tension on the plug tips.
The next thing I would look at is the capacitors inside and see if any are bulging, they may have dried out and need to be replaced.

Those are the first 2 places to look. If those are good then you have to start with lots of toys to see what is and isn't going on inside.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread