Looking for ideas on how to get white patina on lead bullets

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is there any easy, fool-proof way to bring out the white patina or at least brighten dark lead?

Where I hunt at the bullets come out of the ground with a brown, dirty looking patina. While I would like to clean them to a nice looking white patina that you see coming from a lot of CW sites, I'll be happy with a slight dingy, brown finish... The way they look now is very unsatisfying.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DOT0005.JPG
    DOT0005.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 683
  • DOT0005.JPG
    DOT0005.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 415

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been down to Wyse Fork's,Kinston and other area's down there and have noticed that myself,If this can be done I'd love to know Dwight.Short of waiting another 150 year's in less sandy soil I can't help ya.Best of Luck

OP
OP
Dwight S

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
civilman1 said:
I've been down to Wyse Fork's,Kinston and other area's down there and have noticed that myself,If this can be done I'd love to know Dwight.Short of waiting another 150 year's in less sandy soil I can't help ya.Best of Luck

Funny thing is it is a crust over the oxidized white patina we are all accustomed to seeing. I have one that if you use a finger nail and scrape it, eventually it will chip off. Unfortunately, I don't think my finger nails can handle the punishment.

I've tried soaking them, hoping something gentle like 409 would loosen it up but I don't want to risk removing the white patina below. I may have to sacrifice one to see what it takes...

I've got some friends who hunt similar lands and their bullets are all pretty clean.

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We dig some of the same color bullets here in SC and if you dig them from low land they are actually cacooned in a thick black crust. The best and easiest way I've found to get both kinds to have that nice white color is to soak them in "ALL" powdered laundry detergent. I mix it pretty strong so it's mostly detergent and just enough water to make a thick liquid. It takes about 5-10 minutes for it to work but I've seen some nasty looking bullets turned into pretty white ones with this method. I'd suggest trying just one bullet as a test and if you like the way it works, you can do a bunch together. I added a before and after pic of some I used the All method on last week..... Dave

Attachments

• 22412bullets.jpg
    22412bullets.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 517
  • 22412.jpg
    22412.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,872
OP
OP
Dwight S

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dsinsc said:
We dig some of the same color bullets here in SC and if you dig them from low land they are actually cacooned in a thick black crust. The best and easiest way I've found to get both kinds to have that nice white color is to soak them in "ALL" powdered laundry detergent. I mix it pretty strong so it's mostly detergent and just enough water to make a thick liquid. It takes about 5-10 minutes for it to work but I've seen some nasty looking bullets turned into pretty white ones with this method. I'd suggest trying just one bullet as a test and if you like the way it works, you can do a bunch together. I added a before and after pic of some I used the All method on last week..... Dave

Thanks Dave, I'll give it a try...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread