Looking for opinions on a big amount of ikes

Silver89

Greenie
Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, so I was wondering if I could get some various opinions on a situation I have found myself in.

So I work as a teller at a branch and a older customer whose husband passed away came in today brought in 1500 in large dollar coins. There are 3 bags with 500 in each. Now from what I could see from 2 of the bags that I looked at I could see that they were all Ike's and none looked silver of course you never know.

Now here's the problem the head teller is holding on to them only because she knows I collect silver coins but she will be sending them out by Thursday if I dont take them. So should I take them? I can I only imagine the pain in the butt it would be to get rid of them especially if there is nothing there.

Should I take them to look the for the rarer type 2 varieties or is it not worth it.

Again I appreciate any and all feedback.

Upvote 0

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be able to sell them on eBay, someone on this thread said they get $1.30-$1.50 each sometimes. Of course it would tie up a lot of money for a while.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Why not ask here if you can buy them to look through them and bring back the ones you don't want for her to ship out? If she is saving them for you it seems like she would be willing to do this, especially if she would have to ship them out anyway.

The other option is that you could try selling them. Others on here have had success selling them on Craigslist or to LCS for a slight premium.

Okie115

Apr 15, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1. If you have the cash to spare 500 or 750 a day if you don't have the full 1500.
2. You could also cherry pick them before or after shift since they are holding them for you.
3. Get em all and sell the non silvers on ebay. (may take a while so money would be tied up)

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm one for optimism, but on this situation, I'd say just leave them. If she brings in 1500$ in halves that her husband had, then definitively take those :D
Wicka

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Buy Them All. You can cherrypick varieties and MS quality coins. Sell the rest in 100 lot increments. You'll have your cash back (plus some) by the end of the week. Even if there isn't a single keeper (not likely), when will you have an opportunity to search such volume again?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I don't know if the title "Silver" has anything to do with it, or the "Donating to a charity 5% of profits..."
:l

Nothing wrong with the title or description. The seller is clear that they are copper-nickel composition. They are commonly called silver dollars. They aren't trying to deceive anyone. Larger lots sell for more per coin than smaller lots. Buyers have to buy 10 lots of 10 and pay shipping each time to search the same 100 coin lot. Buyers will pay more per coin to save not having to pay shipping on 10 smaller lots.

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would buy one bag and see how it goes. If it has some silver buy the rest.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys, so I was wondering if I could get some various opinions on a situation I have found myself in.

So I work as a teller at a branch and a older customer whose husband passed away came in today brought in 1500 in large dollar coins. There are 3 bags with 500 in each. Now from what I could see from 2 of the bags that I looked at I could see that they were all Ike's and none looked silver of course you never know.

Now here's the problem the head teller is holding on to them only because she knows I collect silver coins but she will be sending them out by Thursday if I dont take them. So should I take them? I can I only imagine the pain in the butt it would be to get rid of them especially if there is nothing there.

Should I take them to look the for the rarer type 2 varieties or is it not worth it.

Again I appreciate any and all feedback.

I'd buy, search them, and the clad ones, sell in a big lot on eBay. Start it out at just over FV and fees so you can't loose any $$$ then everything else is just gravy.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
common nomenclature for this coin is "silver dollar".

haha, I would put silver in the title, and description as well.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tell me where they are and I'll buy them.

OP
OP
Silver89

Silver89

Greenie
Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the opinions, I always knew the cardinal rule of always buy them all, but this time the sheer amount of coins in question made me second guess myself.

After reading your guys thoughts, I decided I'll take them all tomorrow cherry pick through and sell the rest. It might tie up some of my CRH money for halves but I was getting skunked anyways, on top of timzim coming to my area to dump his halves this week I think the Ike's were just what I needed to weather through the skunk storm.

Thanks again everyone!

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just buy them all, take what you want and deposit the rest? Isn't that what this forum is all about? I mean if you want to sell them go ahead but I get the feeling you're not comfortable with that option.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver89 said:
Thanks for the opinions, I always knew the cardinal rule of always buy them all, but this time the sheer amount of coins in question made me second guess myself.

After reading your guys thoughts, I decided I'll take them all tomorrow cherry pick through and sell the rest. It might tie up some of my CRH money for halves but I was getting skunked anyways, on top of timzim coming to my area to dump his halves this week I think the Ike's were just what I needed to weather through the skunk storm.

Thanks again everyone!

Let us know how that goes. :)

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Thanks again everyone!

If you do decide to sell the remainder on eBay, do yourself a favor and list it for 3 days only. People only "see" the listings that are new and ending. After the first day and last day, you are off the radar. No sense waiting a couple extra days longer than necessary.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver89 said:

Thanks again everyone!

I'd be surprised if there wasn't some silver in those bags. Good luck and keep us posted!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread