Looking for opinions on this object please

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was metal detecting and got a good signal, dug down a few inches and found a wheat penny on top of this object. It feels heavier than an average rock of this size. If I hang a rare earth magnet from a string it will attract to the object and stick, but it is not highly magnetic, but certainly somewhat magnetic. Strangely enough it gives no reading on the metal detector.

CAM00641.jpg CAM00643.jpg CAM00644.jpg CAM00645.jpg

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Suggestion.... Buy the O. Richard Norton book Rocks From Space. It is THE BIBLE on meteorites. You will find a chemical test in the book to tell if there is nickle in the rock. Nickle/iron combo is so rare in earth rocks that it is considered the best test for meteorites. Look for some Robert Haag publications. He is the original Meteorite Man. And/or, take it to a college geology dept. AZ has one of the best. I think not, but I am far from an expert. TTC

OP
OP
here4themoney

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OOPS! The other great Norton book, Field guide to Meteors and Meteorites, is the one you want. It clearly instructs the reader on how to use easily acquired chemicals to test for nickel. Sorry about the misinformation. TTC

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread