Looking for photos for new book

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob Baer and I are re-visiting Phil Olin’s book “Treasure: The Business and Technology”originally published in 1991. Lots changed in the meantime so we are writing our own version. I am looking for photos to add to the book. I will give credits and permit contributors to purchase copies at my price, plus a free copy. In particular I am looking for pictures of…

Underwater of treasure recoveries including the ID of anybody in the photo.
Commercial salvage photos where divers are using hose gear, or sat jobs (not oilfield or commercial salvage… treasure salvage).
Pics from Jupiter wreck or Cazador, or any 1715 fleet ops.
I am not interested in any material from Margarita or Atocha.
Don’t want any archive pictures of McKee, ect., that I can get myself from Fl. State Collections.
Pictures from salvage in South Africa and Europe would be especially useful.

If you have pictures of yourself with some of your recoveries, I would like to review them… just remember, even the government will be reading this book.

You must have the rights to these photos, and once again, I need to identify persons in the pictures, relevant incident, location, ect.

Send me a PM with attachments or use my regular email. Thanks. We’re gonna try to get it off the press in the 3rd quarter of 2011.

Just for grins I have attached some of the 3D model shots I am building for illustration purposes.

Tyrrell (Terry) Armstrong
435 Nora Ave.
Merritt Island, FL 32952

Home: 321 459-3311
Cell: 321 863-4835

[email protected]

www.signumops.com

Attachments

• screenshot11.jpg
    screenshot11.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 433
  • screenshot12.jpg
    screenshot12.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 434
  • screenshot13.jpg
    screenshot13.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 443
  • screenshot14.jpg
    screenshot14.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 437
  • screenshot15.jpg
    screenshot15.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 431
  • screenshot16.jpg
    screenshot16.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 450

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pretty neat 3D pics! I might be able to dig up some pics of working wrecks in British Honduras, if I can find them. I remember one with a silver bar and in the background the blower was up. And others with 100s of onion bottles, Wisterberg bottles and other black glass from South America and Central America. I will see what I can dig up and have scanned to a CD.

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
British Honduras: YES. Looking forward to those!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The boat looks like my striker.But it only has 1 engine and the back door is missing.

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Signumops

I am impressed" that is very well done "that is a A+"

Really good job :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I worked offshore for Oceaneering. I prepared perspective drawings of oil platform's submerged structures, level by level and side by side. I had all of these templates Xeroxed in advance of being sent offshore and the ability to sit below decks and draft illustrations like this made me a popular addition to all Oceaneering's inspection jobs. I made some pretty good money. While all the other divers laid around during rotation, I was busy drafting up reports, which we could turn over to the engineers before we left the job. But that was back in the mid 70's. No CAD or computer's available at that time.

These illustrations were prepared using Google's free version of their Sketchup program. I had used it about 4 or 5 years ago doing buildings for the Brevard Property Appraiser's Office, but dropped it meantime. The boat and propeller assembly came from other 3D models. I think I will try to build my own model of Real 8's "Derelict".

The idea behind using 3D graphics for illustrations in this book came to me when I bought a copy of Sheli O. Smith's "The Low-Tech Archaeological Survey Manual" which is a small spiral bound handbook for students that is available on lulu.com. She used 3D graphics in black and white and they are immediately clear in their meaning. She had access to more powerful commercial software, but this version of Sketchup gets pretty close to similar performance.
I must be getting the desired results! Thanks for all of the kind comments!

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd that you would remind me about 'time'. It is very short and you get old quickly. But, you're right: took about 16 hours to build the models you see, and I have more to do!

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The chaser and the chased. This galleon model was built by Philipp Mueller in Germany. It will be modifed for use in a forthcoming book by Dr. Robert Baer about the Jupiter wreck. It is about 110 feet long, stem to stern rudder post. The salvage boat is 59 feet long, bow to transom.

Attachments

• screenshot17.jpg
    screenshot17.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 239

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a photo of bert kilbride and some of us on the old mohawk II in the british virgin islands, I have a very old p.haering bottle and some musket flints from a french pirate ship that was burned by the british (the french were drunk on the haering when the british caught them). if that sounds like something you want let me know. I've never transferred a hard photo to digital so you would have to walk me through it, but there are our personal photo's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread