Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Dredge, M-7 wave table, Prospector Highbanker MD20
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone built something like this? I built a vibrating table but you still have to use those pan screens stacked and is real slow. I would like to make something that I could feed a dry 5 gal bucket of 1/4- cons and have it split out into 5 or more grades. What I had in mind was something on the basis of the gold cube but with slick plates and screens at the end of each tray, with the screens getting finer as the material moved through the system. The over sized would vibrate off the top of each corresponding tray and into it's respective bucket. Also here is a tip for ya'll, I went out today looking at all my cons. Every bucket that didn't have a lid on it has a nice collection of cat poo! Now here is the best part, this cat likes to keep it's litter box clean evidently cuz there were plenty of tootsie rolls laying on the ground encrusted with black sand and probably color! So I wonder if Starbucks can get a yuppie to pay outrageous amounts of money for a cup of coffee that went through a cat, think I could get that same crowd to buy my cons? Lid Your Cons!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
NOT to dampen your idea , BUT the screening of material as it goes through a device needs the fines to be dumped first as it goes through the system OR if you do the largest screen first , all the fine cons will dump there also. a couple of winters ago I built a very small trammel(8 in. X 36 in. long) that had various sized holes in three different sections of the tube. (small to the larger holes)I never finished it but it was for cons only and I had a 12 vdc motor to run it. maybe one day ill get round to doing it!

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
russau is right the fines first. you can set up a tray made from plywood or al just like a mini sluice set at 1deg per foot for slow crawl of cons with a 12 volt with a counter weight to set up vibration think shaker plant just for cons.

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
russau is right the fines first. you can set up a tray made from plywood or al just like a mini sluice set at 1deg per foot for slow crawl of cons with a 12 volt with a counter weight to set up vibration think shaker plant just for cons.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to more of your comments.

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I picked up one of these yesterday after watching the builder develop it. Haven't used it in real life but I will be soon!

Very affordable and built to last and move material.

CALIFORNIA SLUICE BOX - NEW ITEMS

If I'm looking at the right machine, I like how it's hand powered and portable.

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You guys are correct on the fines first in a trommel but not in a stack, In a stack you take out the largest first and the fines keep moving down.

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking of trommels have you seen this thing yet? I want one bad, this thing looks awesome! Don't let the title fool ya, I didn't build it. I guess that the guy has some new and improved models out now that work even better, pretty nice set up huh? Chain driven Honda powered. Sweet...

Last edited:

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sticks,

ok you want run your sieves in a stack. here is what I used when I did a lot of metal casting we called it a power riddle. what you can do is cut 2 triangles from 3/4" plywood bigger then your sieves cut holes in the center to fit your sieves in one drill 3 holes in both triangles for eye bolts and cables in your other triangle drill a hole for the shaft for the 12 volt motor we used one from the heater of a car and used a dimer switch to adjust the speed of the motor. you will also need a spring to hang it form your ceiling. don't forget your counter weight.

Bill

OP
OP
S

Sticks

May 22, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
J.O.G Trommel
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do like your idea Bill saf however I am looking for something that would handle multiple 5gal buckets of dry cons on a thru-put basis. What I mean is I want to be able to feed it continually until I have to empty the sorted buckets. I mean no offence at all, but sieve stacks are quite slow particularly the finer screens -50 -100 and -200 as they have to be brushed continually or they plug up. The other problem I have with sieve stacks is that you can only feed a scoop at a time. Not to mention I have on more than one occasion screwed up by absent mindedly dumping the sorted material into the wrong bucket. It really sucks when that happens.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You say you are working with concentrates. If I had gallons and gallons of minus 1/4" concentrate my first step would be to reduce the total volume by a super concentration step before I attempted any further screen classification. Is this something you have attempted or considered? Once you have super concentrates then your screen stack could make sense as you would have much less overall material to deal with. In any case, good luck.

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sticks,

then my first post would do it if you wanted to build it screens course to fine . multi level and at the out feed have them feeding your buckets.
like I said think shaker plant. good luck

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions