Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BobTheBaitFish said:
What can a person expect to find around Vencie Flordia during November and December? I'm going to be in the general area, and can take an extra week to go searching. I have small kids, so diving the peace river is out of the question. Basically is it worth the trip?

Bob, check with 'Lamplighter' he is deployed right now, he would know, he is from 'Florida', ( he has internet access), he is a diver, & collector.

Fossis............

Fossis...........

paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005
at Venice beach just sift the black sand.Also I was going to the Peace River alot when I lived in St.Lucie.If you want to hunt sharks teeth with your kids,take HWY 70 to Arcadia.Coming from the west coast you'll pass the peace river campground on the left then after that a long flat bridge as you go over the bridge look to your left you'll see a boat ramp,I can't remember the name of the park,but pull next to the boat ramp and go left to the river you can't miss the spot.You'll find sharks teeth along with alot of other fossils nonstop all day.Great spot for kids too.It's very shallow and a huge beach area.Sometimes it does kinda smell though.Check this website too. www.peacerivercampground.com Hope this helps good luck and have fun regardless.

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BtBF,

Think I got to this too late for your trip. Here is what I know about Venice. Kids have a ball finding the small ones in with the shells along the wave breaks. Storms and strong seas churn up more "stuff" than normal so do go out after a storm.

the fancy shovel type sifters are great for the semi-avid collector. Work the shell/fossil layers out in the knee to hip deep realm.

I hear of divers doing well on the layers farther out, 20ft of depth comes to mind. Havent dived there yet, but would love to.

BTW- the Peace can be quite kid friendly. In Wachula there is a park near a county road bridge named "crews park" (or something) great palce to BBQ, relax in the sun. Plenty of room to park, and shallow water for kids/adults to roam around in and find stuff. There is no real secret spot in the Peace. If you find gravel, you should find fossils. Keep in mind though, easiest places to get to - get searched more often, but you would be suprised how many BIG teeth get found in "hunted out" places.

good luck, enjoy Florida!
-thomas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread