Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I'm currently searching on a coin rich site and have found over 400 coins in a two acre field that was used to host a fair from the 1600's up until World war 2. The problem is that the soil conditions are very acidic and all of the copper based coins I have found have been in terrible condition and often only recognisable as coins by their shape. Silver coins are ok and I've never found any gold but I presume that it will be ok too. I'm looking for a coin shooter programme for my e-trac that will ignore copper coins or at least clearly distinguish them from silver or gold on unploughed pasture. Can anyone help?

Regards
Frank

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank simply blank out the area of screen with a medium size cursor to knock out what you don't want to find. Them you can save it for your silver only discrim pattern. You lose a lot of depth the more discrim you add though. The numbers alone should differentiate what you don't want to dig or are you just tired of hearing them also? Or black out whole screen and use autolatch to set discrim to only silver coins you wave over coil. You will loose gold and everything but that specific target though. Ive ben experimenting with relic discrim pattern with 4 tone ferrous and conduct as many say this is the best way to find deeper coins. Still working at it! Good luck and HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankyg

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Fletch. The problem is that I just can't resist digging what I know is a coin just on the off chance that it might be ok!!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Fletch. The problem is that I just can't resist digging what I know is a coin just on the off chance that it might be ok!!!

If I was at a site that old I would have to run wide open screen other than little discrim in lower right corner and dig every repeatable signal that wasn't a pulltab just to see what it was. With as much sensitivity as I could stand for deep goodies! Good luck and show us results!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would dig every target INCLUDING the pull tab readings! That's where you'll find the small gold. Run it wide open (as in no discrimination pattern) and look at the numbers to determine if it's silver, gold, iron, etc..... Now, if the place is just lousy with junk, yeah, you'll need to run a pattern that eliminates the common junk you're finding. but nothing else. Just hit the "X/check mark" button to eliminate the numbers you don't want to see when they come up. I doubt there is a pattern that can tell the difference between small silver and big copper, especially at depth.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would dig every target INCLUDING the pull tab readings! That's where you'll find the small gold. Run it wide open (as in no discrimination pattern) and look at the numbers to determine if it's silver, gold, iron, etc..... Now, if the place is just lousy with junk, yeah, you'll need to run a pattern that eliminates the common junk you're finding. but nothing else. Just hit the "X/check mark" button to eliminate the numbers you don't want to see when they come up. I doubt there is a pattern that can tell the difference between small silver and big copper, especially at depth.

Yea your right cudamark. Dig it !

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a place that could take years to really detect....as been said, dig everything! Should be some good targets outside of the two acres also....

OP
OP
Frankyg

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys,

You are right, I was just getting a bit fed up digging modern coins! I've got enough now to pay for a night out down the Pub! The area that I've cleared of modern stuff, all about 1" under the turf, is now giving up older coins (1800's) and artefacts at about 6 to 8". With the e-trac I can get down to at least one foot on this land so I should start getting some nice coins now. We had some heavy rain on Wednesday which has helped to cover the digs I've made. I was a bit concerned because we had some dry sunny weather and I didn't want the landowners to see any damage to the surface of the field but they are almost invisible now. This was one of the reasons why I wanted to be a bit more selective in what I dug.
I will post any interesting coins or artefacts but so far, other than an old WW2 era cap-badge from the North Staffordshire Regiment (Disbanded in 1948), There is nothing worth posting.

north staffs.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool relic! I figured you were across the pond if the site your hunting has been in use since the 1600's. I would love to be able to hunt areas that old or older. Really love seeing people dig Romans, I can't imagine finding something that old! Good luck and keep us posted!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, if you haven't already, I would have to try a 15 x 12 SEF or 18 x 15 SEF to see if anything may be deeper than stock coil can reach.

OP
OP
Frankyg

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Fletch,

I've got an 18X15 coil (Penetrator) that I used to use with my Explorer, I havn't tried it with my E-Trac yet.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys,

You are right, I was just getting a bit fed up digging modern coins! I've got enough now to pay for a night out down the Pub! The area that I've cleared of modern stuff, all about 1" under the turf, is now giving up older coins (1800's) and artefacts at about 6 to 8". With the e-trac I can get down to at least one foot on this land so I should start getting some nice coins now. We had some heavy rain on Wednesday which has helped to cover the digs I've made. I was a bit concerned because we had some dry sunny weather and I didn't want the landowners to see any damage to the surface of the field but they are almost invisible now. This was one of the reasons why I wanted to be a bit more selective in what I dug.
I will post any interesting coins or artefacts but so far, other than an old WW2 era cap-badge from the North Staffordshire Regiment (Disbanded in 1948), There is nothing worth posting.

View attachment 846378
Nice find! Most of us "Yanks" just dream of a place to hunt that is that old and full of targets! Sharpen up your digging tool so you can make cleaner cuts and have at it.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This here bloody Yank dreams of low and slow in a land such as this with the E!! Romans, hammies and the like!!! Not all this rubbish we lads dig!!! :)

OP
OP
Frankyg

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
es I suppose us Brits take it for granted. We have such a small country that I can pretty much guarantee that I could go on to any field in the country and find coins going back to Roman times. The country is packed with small rural churches that have been there for 600 to 1000 years and although it is virtually impossible to get permission to detect on the church land, the fields around the church are always interesting.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice find has some great petina on it the signs of your very close to the good stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread