Looking for some suggestions.

Aug 8, 2007
PA
Ok, Hi everyone I'm new here and also a newbie when it comes to MD'ing. In fact, I haven't actually got the detector I have ordered yet but it should be arriving this week. I am so excited and have been doing a lot of reading and such but I can't seem to come up with any good leads as to places in the Dallas, Wilkes-Barre, Tunkhannock, or Benton areas in PA that would be good places to MD/TH. So if anyone has any suggestions as to places that are open to the public for detecting, or wouldn't be too hard to get permission to detect in I would greatly appreciate it. I'm psyched up, even if I only find some junk I'm exited!!! Grin

PS. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Thanks in advance as well to everyone.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Head up to Moonlake Park.

Black Diamond holds their Hunts there every year,
in the fields below where the Model Airplane
flyers have their Runway set up.

I'm sure they miss alot of silver over the years,

Plus there are alot of stone walls there.
and Picnic areas.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. How about Wolfe's Park 1933-1965 located on Sylvan Lake a few miles from Dallas, near Sweet Valley & Pritchard. I would definitely check this out. Just follow this link.......

http://www.defunctparks.com/parks/PA/wolfes/wolfes.htm

2. Anything left of Don Hanson's Amusement Park? 1891-1984

http://www.defunctparks.com/parks/PA/hansons/index.htm

3. Benton area: (this one I would like to personally check out, but if you can get permission, go for it, and CALL ME ;D )

"Camp meetings in Huntington Valley date back at least to the 1830's. The earliest meeting-place was "the Wadsworth grove", a short distance southwest of the Town Hill schoolhouse, on land owned by the Rev. Epaphras Wadsworth, who was perhaps a son of the Rev. Epenetus Wadsworth.In 1847, however, the gathering became too large for the Wadsworth grove, and the camp meeting moved to "the Harvey Woods", where it remained for the next twenty years. The Harvey woods was a strip of land owned at that time by Benjamin Harvey, of Harveyville. Extending from the Shickshinny-Benton highway (now route 239) on the north to the road branching from that highway to Town Hill on the south, it lay just west of what was then the Larned farm. The campground site can be seen today on the left side of route 239 just after one passes over the top of the hill beyond Huntington Mills on the way to Benton; a house now stands at what was a corner of the encampment. There were two entrances to the grounds, one on the highway to Benton and one on the road to Town Hill; and a large spring located a short distance south of the highway supplied water. Never wholly suitable because of the sloping ground, the location was by 1867 proving too small for the growing crowds"

More later as I come across them. What kind of detector did you get?..........Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread