Looking for the best info on reading beaches and shorelines?

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman often puts up a great link, when he sees this he will probally help you out.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Most often its you that needs to read your home court beach. You can read about sand movement online but that's just a generalization. Each beach has its spots for where like items come together. While this worked back in the late 1970's its a much harder test to pull off today. Reason is that then you had one or two hunters per county now it likely there are several thousand. But I still do it to see what happens. Take some quarters and paint them up and seed then in the surf where you hunt and over the next several days watch there movements by finding them from where placed. Nickels can be used and or brass washers. Also marking a section of piling at low tide will show you how much different the tides are, along with sand movements. This is a process you need to learn yourself takes many years to just walk on the beach and know just where to hunt and leave with the goods. Hope this info helps you get along in this process.

tincansam

Jun 7, 2011
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
on the east coast of FL has bays,intercoastal, ocean. look into where ya gonna be, on here their are a few guy's that have books

out on hunting FL east coast. :icon_pirat:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Link for the Golden Olde site is broken and I can't copy and paste because the link is broken. Sorry. Good thing I printed it out couple years ago. It would've taught you all you needed to know.

OP
OP
gary s fl

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. I've hunted the water for 10 years and done ok, but have only found a few rings wet sanding Florida's east coast. I know the basics like watching sand level changes, and looking for scallops, ledges, hard packed sand, shells, etc but apparently there are things I never learned. Sandman, good suggestion, the Golden Olde's site was a great place for info. I may have saved some his ideas. Buried Crap, I like the seeding idea. The problem is that I don't live in
FL anymore so it probably wouldn't be practical for my situation. Any other input would be appreciated.

OP
OP
gary s fl

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
JMW thank you for the link.

OP
OP
gary s fl

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve,
I recently purchased three of his books. Hopefully they'll have the type of info I'm looking for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread