looking for the big one! old vending machines.

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
Well I like to look in the most weird places forstuff.
And today while looking for old wheels in a surplus warehouse
I found an old cigarette Machine back in the corner.
I asked the man how much for the machine?He said oh 20.00
I gave the man his money and asked for a paper clip and a screw driver outside of a hour I had the machine open! the machine had
money all over it! My 20.00 payed off. with some 15 dollars in silver coins and if I get the dollar changer open maybe some more dollar bills.I need a truck to move it now but thats only a matter of time.
Cigarette machines were made illegal around 1968 so many silver coins and old dollars are sure to be found. I'll post pictures when I get the dame thing home.Vending Machines can lead to big silver finds.Older ones are your best bet.I would have paid allot more just for the antique value!

Upvote 0

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought of that, way to go.

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
There are still some cigarette vending machines in use. I believe it was only some states that outlawed the use of unattended cigarette vending machines. One such state being PA. This was done to prevent children from obtaining cigarettes.

Then again, old machines could still have old coins in the little hidey holes that all machines have. HH Bluezman

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
konnon6 said:
Cigarette machines were made illegal around 1968

That is not a correct statement. Perhaps they were illegal in the county or state that you live in, but there are still cigarette machines in operation today. There was a big crackdown on the way most of them operate in the 80s, usually making it where someone would have to verify age then push a button behind the counter or what not.

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
wow way to go,thanks for the tip i will keep my eyes wide open.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
I bought a used pinball machine for the kids, there wasn't a key to open the door. After I drilled the lock. We found that the change hadn't been emptied and walked away with $60 in clad. Paid $300 for the machine and put $100 repairs into it. I found out it's market value is $850. Plan on selling it when the kids graduate.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Konn iam almost out of ciggs send them to me :D Oh great idea about finding coins.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Now that's a col find, way to go.
What are you going to do with it when you get it home?
Awesome post, can't wait to see the photos. Congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo

T

TreasureTales

Anxiously awaiting photos. Very smart idea, congrats to you! There used to be a thread about all the different places to find coins, maybe we should start another one.

My father used to have a cigarette vending machine at his auto repair shop in the 1960's. Cigarettes were a quarter a pack and all the quarters then were silver - hmmm, wonder where that machine is now? LOL If we only knew back then what we know now.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SMOKIN' find!!! Great post & info. I love the looks of those old cigarette and candy machines. Very smart thinking. Congrats,
MM

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bluezman said:
There are still some cigarette vending machines in use. I believe it was only some states that outlawed the use of unattended cigarette vending machines. One such state being PA. This was done to prevent children from obtaining cigarettes.

Then again, old machines could still have old coins in the little hidey holes that all machines have. HH Bluezman

What he said. I quit when they went to 80¢ a pack while I was in college. Back in 19 ought 79 I believe. :D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
konnon6 said:
Well I like to look in the most weird places forstuff.
And today while looking for old wheels in a surplus warehouse
I found an old cigarette Machine back in the corner.
I asked the man how much for the machine?He said oh 20.00
I gave the man his money and asked for a paper clip and a screw driver outside of a hour I had the machine open! the machine had
money all over it! My 20.00 payed off. with some 15 dollars in silver coins and if I get the dollar changer open maybe some more dollar bills.I need a truck to move it now but thats only a matter of time.
Cigarette machines were made illegal around 1968 so many silver coins and old dollars are sure to be found. I'll post pictures when I get the dame thing home.Vending Machines can lead to big silver finds.Older ones are your best bet.I would have paid allot more just for the antique value!
weres the pictures stud

OP
OP
K

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
sorry the only camera I have won't work on my pc but I'll try to post them
when I get the chance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread