Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And that's just the beginning. You should read the posts here, there is a university education in the posts on T-Net. You can stake your own claim for a lot less money than buying one. You have to do the same amount of research.

Think about this, why would somebody sell a claim unless it was a scam. I know there are a few good reasons for selling a claim...too old, poor health, etc. But If it had gold on it, you'd mine it. A few grams would pay for the cost of filing the claim.

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Rob yes it's good to be wary but honestly I don't want people reading threads like that one and assuming all claims are bad or people selling them are. Many good claims are sold by reputable people and even companies so the key like you mentioned is to do your research and the orig point of that thread. Buying a claim could work out fine some people as long as they do the due diligence as you mentioned. Bob welcome to tnet i would edit your ph number out being the Internet and all, people can contact you by pm or put an email address in there instead... as I post with my real name like an idiot:)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't know anything about mining you have no real way of making sure your getting a good claim. I would be very careful. I grew up near Perris Ca. I know Menifee well and the areas 'Close" where there was historical mining and gold. DO NOT BUY A CLAIM in that area unless you want to be frustrated. maybe Julian area BUT?????

Kevin in Colorado may be a good contact for you. My advice is to learn how to prospect and visit the areas and try to get on a current claim so you can see if it is something you want to get into.

Joining a club is a great way to meet people and network. GPAA has access to a ton of claims that are going to give you some insight into different areas that are gold bearing. There is a list of chapters by state in the back of their magazine with contacts. You would be interested in the Temecula chapter for Menifee area.

heres the local club many members are GPAA aswell. Temecula Valley Prospectors | Let's go gold prospecting!
or Hemet Valley Prospecting Club

These groups have members who know the area and outlying areas well. BE WARNED. the hills and backroads in these areas are not always safe. Illegal duming is extreme in many areas especially on the hwy 15 and 215 corridors. These "wild" areas are surronded by the most populated areas in the country. Many open blm areas close to the roads are basically shooting ranges and ohv playgrounds. It is down right crowded especially on weekends. Get local info before you attempt to go out and explore.

DO NOT BUY A CLAIM YOU HAVE NOT BEEN TO!!!!!!!!!!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Bob, I hope you enjoy your upcoming time in Colorado! You can read about open places to dig and Colorado prospecting club options on my website at www.findinggoldincolorado.com

One of the oldest posts is a list of places you can dig without a claim and another post lists the relevant clubs so go back thru the older stuff :)

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
If you've never done any prospecting or mining before, join a club and see if you like it before you go running out to get a claim! There are several good clubs in your area that will welcome guests. There is also a good prospectors supply in Temecula that if I remember right holds outings for beginners. Once you've had a little experience in the filed, then decide if you enjoy it enough to warrant getting your own claim. Don't put the cart before the horse!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with GI , you need to see how you like the work and do the research to owning a claim , get your feet wet . I would think doing some research and filing your own claim may work better for you , I don't think anyone gets rid of a claim thats producing a lot of Gold , I know I would'nt . Give yourself some time and do some good old fasinhed prospecting , you will be glad you did .

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Regardless of where you choose to get a claim, you will still have to test the site. Placer, hard rock - anything.

Look up historical mining documents in the area(s) you are interested in. You're looking for placer, so go through the old literature and watch for areas that were mined in decades past. There are areas that will read as being mined out - no more gold. But remember, much of your literature is coming from some government reclamations department. They WANT everyone to believe that there is nothing else to find. Keep these 2 thoughts in mind:
1) gold recovery now is MUCH better than it was 100 years ago or more
2) ALL gold mining was stopped in the past due to WWII, and by the time mining was again allowed and gold prices rose, there just wasn't as much interest. So there ARE places out there that still have gold. Also, gold is more likely to accumulate where it has historically. So for you, my friend, homework! homework! homework! Read until your eyes are ready to burst, then read some more! There's an awful lot of history out there.

When you find prospective areas, look them up on Google Earth and study the maps. Pay attention to water sources (past and present), snow melt, the buildup of modern civilization. Try to compare newer mapping to old, historical maps. Learn which rivers/creeks have had a course change in the past 100-200 years.

There ARE respectable gold claims sellers out there. Many people are more interested in doing the research and finding areas that are likely to still have good values, then they sell these claims for a hefty profit. But, the good ones "earn" that pay by doing the research for you. Still, trust only your own sampling and tests. If you don't find good results, just remember that it "could" be because you're missing a step, or not thorough enough, or any number of other reasons. If gold was easy to get (in quantity), then it wouldn't be worth squat. But unless you have some deep pockets, you would be best served doing your own research and your own testing.

Finally, study the claims of the past. Read about their equipment and procedures; what they did right and what they did wrong; what problems they encountered along the way. Better to learn from past mistakes rather than making them all over again.

Good luck!

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too was ready to jump in and buy an existing Claim.
Get a place to call my own and go every weekend to work the schist out of it.

But I joined a couple clubs which gave me access to all kinds of great claims.
Plus going to the "open to public" areas here and there.
And it got me thinking...Why should I buy a claim right away?
Heck I barley have time to go to the 10 different claims I have access to right now.
..if I could save time in a bottle... Sorry.

SO - how about I really learn this "ART" of prospecting first.
Actually GO and enjoy all the good areas I have access to already.
Use and learn my tools I gather in my arsenal.
And instead of buying a claim from someone else, I want to go out and stake my own claim.

I think that would be the most Bit*%&@st thing of all!

But I'm not saying I'll never buy one.
Go for it! and good luck!!

OP
OP
B

boblemon

May 14, 2015
Kansas city Kansas
Detector(s) used
All Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the help. I just joined G.P.A.A. and trying to get as much education that i can before investing a ton of money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread