JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all! So as most of you know, I live here in South Florida, and am into beach hunting for the most part... until recently. I've gained a new interest in Florida's history. I want to purchase a machine thats maybe around $600-$1000, strictly for coin/relic hunting in the woods. Something that might be good in trashy areas. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Minelab has a new machine, Equinox, coming soon that may be as revolutionary as its hype. I'm saving up for one. If it doesn't live up to the potential, I'll look elsewhere, but I'm hoping the simultaneous multi-frequency technology can help me sort out treasure from trash BEFORE digging. It ought to be dynamite on target ID, but that has yet to be seen. I'm hopeful.

In the mean time, and before the ground freezes deeply, I'm enjoying my new Fisher F75 for coin hunting in parks and fields, and some on fresh water beaches. It really is a fine VLF. It has really flexible discrimination, noise immunity, good depth and for my hard of hearing issues, the ability to lower the tone frequency to avoid the high frequency loss I do not enjoy having. It is also pretty light and very well balanced. I bought mine on Amazon last August for $559. They've gone u p to $599 (last I looked) and used to go for $1199, so I pounced on it without hesitation. I got the NEL Sharpshooter for really trashy areas and that coil really helps sort out the targets the stock coil can have difficulty with. I recommend it, as it doesn't seem to lose any depth using it.

Hope this gives you some ideas, from a casual user.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out Minelab’s new offering as mentioned above. Maybe the Equinox 600 would be a good detector for your area.
Good luck!

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the Equinox, but if you want a solid machine that’s been proven over and over again, I always push for the minelab Safari. I own one, and found that it’s a bit of a hidden gem in the metal detecting world.

OP
OP
JustKeepDigging

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Equinox looks like the machine I'm looking for. Anybody have any clue when it'll be released?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread