Looking to Buy...Whites..Need Info

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Im seriously thinking of purchasing a whites metal detector ....I see they range from expensive to very exspensive. Can I get by with their cheaper model and still find all those good things out there...or should I go in debt and get the more expensive models. My friend has one that he uses under water...and Ive heard him rave about it...but he has more money than he knows what to do with. I have heard the saying you get what you pay for is this true in metal detecting. I dont need bells , lights, and whistles....just a good old detector that stays away from pull tabs, and bottle caps.

Upvote 0

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Pulltaps and bottlecaps you will never get away from, its part of the game...

Try out the Prizm II by Whites. It comes in at like $250, there is a coupon for $50 off on Whites site, so now its down to $200. The only difference between the II and III is a depth indicator. If you want something a little better, go with the Prizm IV, it has a smart notch that supposedly helps ignore trash, and tone ID. Prizm IV is $400 after the coupon, and the III is $300 after coupon.

And thats it for the cheap Whites... Actually, I think the Classic is down there, but I have never used one, and I like the Prizm series for what you get.

Remember, you can print the coupon and take it to a local dealer for the instant rebate and no shipping charges!

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
You didn't say what is expensive. For under $600. you can get a M6 with the latest in ground tracking. It will show you when their is a probable pull tap or cap. By not digging though, you could miss some good finds.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an MXT...and am very happy with it! :)

Nana ;)

Still dig the pull tabs and bottle tops though.. :-\

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I'm kind of a die-hard White's guy. I am on my 3rd xlt. Love them. I f you want the best detector in the low range, get the Garrett 250. It is way better than the Prizm 2, for about the same price. Even better, save your pennies, and get an xlt or Dfx.

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
I highly recommend one of the models with tone ID, the more tones the better (as you can afford). Its like extra discrimination in a way- if that make any sense at all. Basically more information about the target your about to dig or...not. The Prizm is pretty interesting, but if you can test swing a few models that would be a good we to see what you like in the different lines from White's. With just about any you can't go wrong. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread