looking to get into this sport.

southjerseymark

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2009
National Park, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
whites MXT 300
Hi all, my name is Mark and I live in National Park, New Jersey, just a few blocks from Red Bank Battlefield (wish we could dig there). I have been interested in metal detecting since I was a child but never gave it a try. I haven't bought anything for the sport yet. I'm looking for some guidance and maybe to make a friend or friends that know a bit about this sport. There is a local club in Haddon Heights New Jersey but I missed this months meeting. So I will have to wait for the next one. Well, any advice would be great. If there are any people local to me who would like to take me under there wing maybe we could get together and chat a bit. Thanks a bunch.... Mark

Upvote 0

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum Mark!!! You are making the right decesion into getting a very rewarding (mostly self for me though) hobby. I have been around it since the early 80's and it is fun.......I have never found a valuble old coin or something worth alot of money but the old silver coins I have dug up are not in circulation or minted anymore and they are priceless to me............It is also fun digging up a civil war relic and being the first human to touch it in over a century. If you are patient it is a very fun hobby...........Some people luck up and have great results their first time out once they get a metal detector but if you do not have great results the first few times you go out looking then do not give it up because like I said it takes patience at this hobby. I will also suggest to you to buy the best metal detector that you can afford and read the manual that came with it and learn how to use your metal detector the correct way. I am sure we T'netters can help pointing you in the right direction if you have any question about the hobby. Do you have a metal detector name brand in mind? What type of metal detecting do you want to do, coins, relics or both? Tim

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Welcome and this is a fantastic hobby. I am a member of that club and you can get lots of help from the members. Message me if I can help with your choice of detector.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and the addiction that others call a hobby of metal detecting. There are much different types of detection and NO one best detector. Suscribe to Western & Eastern Treasure magazine for the latest info to calm you down while your not scanning the dirt. :coffee2:

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Mark! Welcome to Tnet and to a great hobby. As stated before me, there are a lot of great people here that can answer just about any question you may have. Once again, Welcome!

Doug

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
Welcome to TNet Mark :D You're gonna love sifting through these forums...they are the best for rainy day inspiration! The best advice I can give you is to read EVERYTHING you can about the hobby. :read2: You will start to get a feel for which detector will suit you the best, which ones may leave you frustrated, how to find good places to hunt, etc. Not to mention this community is loaded with knowledgeable people who are always here to help :hello2:

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to Tnet and the hobby. I'm another who's been into it for a while, and though I haven't found anything of real monetary value, what keeps me going is the history of it and the thrill of unearthing old stuff. So if you don't bring the expectation that you're going to cash in, you'll have lots of fun and a great form of recreation. :icon_thumright:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Mark to this great site and hobbie. Hope you can find someone close to you and help you out. If we was closer to one another I would welcome you to try out my machines. Well god luck.......Matt

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
welcome to this little world of madness, good luck and we'll wait for some of your finds

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
Welcome.

The biggest thing in this hobby is location followed by research.

The brand machine is very optional.

You live in a great state/area so 90% of the battle is won for you already.

teddy

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
Dont waste your time there is nothing left to be dug out there!!!,,,,,,,, we have got it all ,,,,sorry,,,,,

Not really,,,,, :laughing9: hope you decide to try your luck at one of the best hobbies out there,, :headbang: I have been at it since 1973 off and on ,,and have no regrets at all ,,,!!! Hell its kept me out of trouble a lot of times!!! ,,,,so make the leap ,,,and get a good simple machine at first and give er the devil!!! :wink:

its fun!!!!!

arthur

IntoTheFire

May 3, 2010
New Jersey (South)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 / Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Welcome Mark,

I am also in National Park. I am pretty new to MD and could always use a hunting buddy. Let me know.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the sport / Hobby some times after searching the dry and wet sand it can seem like you have ran a 20 k Marathon get a detector and go for it every find is a adventure!!!

HH chug

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
welcome to the forum of treasure hunters,
your looking to buy a metal detector you need to see what's in your budget.

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
South Central, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Etrac,Fisher F75,Tesoro Golden UMax, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard! I am still a newbie myself, but I will tell you this much....you will get as much out of it, as you put into it....if not more. It is a very rewarding hobby, and the folks here are great about helping you out!

LittleJohn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread