Looking to get my first detector!

breadbeard

Nov 13, 2012
Hi all.
I'm originally from Denmark. The old Viking country up in Scandinavia.
I am currently on vacation in California. (LA & Vegas area) and the 26th I'm heading down to the Caribbean to do some sailing on my friend's boat and do some scuba diving as well..
I'll be back in Denmark around New Years.

I have been thinking about getting me a metal detector for many years. But as I was going to the Caribbean now, I thought it would be obvious to invest in an underwaterdetector now, as I could use it while scubaing around the next month or so....(and I just got my scuba license and I have a small boat I Denmark, and as a former Viking country I bet a lot of silver and gold could be found in the bays)

It would be awesome to bring it with me Back to Denmark so I can roam around the fields and see if I can find a nice silver or gold treasure :laughing7: who wouldn't like that :)

Looking through all the previous post and recommendations, I kinda have my mind set for either a
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Or a
Tesoro sand shark
They look to be sold used for around 500$ which I think Is a reasonable and fair price.

I have been looking at the tiger shark and the infinium, but not sure if its over the top to get that expensive a device as a total rookie?

But they also look very alike and as a newbie to this I don't really know what to look for.

My criteria is:
It's gotta be able to work underwater (at least 15/20ft) AND on land as well...
It's gotta be capable of finding gold and silver (not sure if this is standard on all devices)
I kinda liked the ones with a display on, but again, reading through the reviews the ones mentioned earlier seems really reliable. And I guess I can learn recognizing the signals it tells me.

I really want to go into hunting, as I always been excited about finding stuff since I was a kid!

I appreciate any input or thoughts on this! Maybe some pros and cons on the devices listed above. Or even some recommendations for per devices I might have missed out on!

Best regards. And happy hunting out there
-Rune

dhearn

Jan 3, 2012
Sallisbury MD
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Excalibur's are best water machine in my opinion.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
The infinium and excaliber are both great underwater machines...the excal is good for diving to 200 feet. The excal also discriminates out iron which the infinium will not do. I think if you are going to use both for dirt digging at home...I'd go with the excal.

OP
OP
B

breadbeard

Nov 13, 2012
The infinium and excaliber are both great underwater machines...the excal is good for diving to 200 feet. The excal also discriminates out iron which the infinium will not do. I think if you are going to use both for dirt digging at home...I'd go with the excal.

Wow this was the sort of information I was on the look for...! Thank you so much... I'm pricing them atm as they don't have prices on their website.

But then I stumbled over this video on YouTube : now I don't know too much about the up loaders credibility. But if it can't find a gold chain it doesn't seem too good? Is that a setting mistake?

JT1080

Sep 17, 2012
Santa Clarita
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
breadbeard said:
Wow this was the sort of information I was on the look for...! Thank you so much... I'm pricing them atm as they don't have prices on their website.

But then I stumbled over this video on YouTube : YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9TizTb_VRs now I don't know too much about the up loaders credibility. But if it can't find a gold chain it doesn't seem too good? Is that a setting mistake?

From what i've read, most detectors will have a hard time with chains, unless they are balled up. The problem is that the detector will only pick up on one link and not the whole chain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread