TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok so i have a bounty hunter quick silver that i have been using and i like it, i hit targets on the surface and far enough down i quit digging lol i guess the down side to it is the signals would be what i call sporadic and im thinking maybe its time for a slight upgrade to something a little more even tempered?? so my first question are there any bounty hunter users out there who want to chime in on that piece of equipment? now im looking into a garrett 250 or 350 though im not sure of the difference between the two, is garrett a good brand? i remember having one issued to me in iraq when i was in the marines the ace 250 will cost me $212.45 and the ace 350 will cost 297.45, any input would be appreciated

keystonecops

Mar 9, 2014
salem or
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT-Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett is a good machine. When I upgrade I'm going with a Tesoro because of the warranty. Kellyco has good prices. Later Clyde

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used a tesoro but hear great things about them and the warranty. Coming from someone who started with an ace 250 grt the tesoro. I hated that ace250 I was ready to get rid of it after a few weeks.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OR, you might do yourself a favor and look at the Whites line of detectors. You don,t get false signals. They will go deeper than you want to dig. They have a warranty, but you will probably never have need for one. My two Whites are over 13 years old and never been back for repairs. They also go deeper than I want to dig sometimes.
I did dig down once just to see what it had located. It was a license plate at app.24". Oh it finds good things too like this 3ct ruby/gold ring. And the coil doesn't chip like some other brands do. Just my thoughts. Frank...
ruby gold ring 700.jpg

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's
there the leaders in technologies every one else copies.
they sound good well balance easy on bateries
service second to none
and you can have them fix after 10 years

liftloop

OP
OP
T

TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow good input ill go look up some whites models and see what the cost is

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can always go on e bay get a lot cheaper

liftloop

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're going to get suggestions for every brand out there when you ask this question. Garrett, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro are all leaders ( I am sure someone will remind me of one omitted ). If you drive a Ford, you might like a Whites.....A GM goes with Garrett's.....I hope you see where I am going:tongue3:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only Whites in your price range is the Coinmaster/Pro. Stay away! One of the worst detectors I've ever had the displeasure of owning! You can do much much better for cheaper.

Like Terry said, the Tesoro Silver uMax would be a good choice. If you prefer multi tones and not having to thumb a disc knob all day, the Fisher F2 will smoke the Ace series and Whites Coinmaster all day long. Also the Teknetics EuroTek Pro is getting ALOT of (good) attention as of late. Hear very little negative feedback on em.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Maybe a older top of the line Whites would fit your budget. Check on the classifieds here on T Net and on the other treasure sits that I can't mention here, perhaps E Bay. I think you will get more satisfaction out of an older top of the line than a stripped down new one. just my opinion. Frank... 111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
250 comes with the smaller concentric coil, 350 has the larger DD coil - other then that they are basically the same.....350 has a few more notch discriminations I believe.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
250 comes with the smaller concentric coil, 350 has the larger DD coil - other then that they are basically the same.....350 has a few more notch discriminations I believe.

I think the Ace line is being discontinued. They are starting to show up in my surplus catalogs. Frank... hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

OP
OP
T

TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots to consider, now did you all go out and purchase the most expensive machine you could afford then learn to use it or did you start at the bottom and upgrade through to where you are at now? if i went the garrett 350 way its gotta be better than a bounty hunter but not as good as a whites right? my train of thought is if i learn to hunt with lower end models ill be a pro by the time i get a higher end, thoughts?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't own an expensive machine but I did upgrade. I bought my first detector on EBay at a reasonable price and learned the basics of detecting 'till I was decent at finding things. I then started looking at getting a water proof detector because of all the water sites I have available to me. My gf saw me looking at them and sealed the deal by telling me to order what I wanted and she'd buy it as last year's Christmas gift. It would have been rude of me to refuse her gift, right? Lol!

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been detecting for a little more than a year. ...I started with a 350 then upgraded to an ATP...funny thing is I did an air test a week ago (for what it's worth) and I swear the 350 was getting better depth...can't comment on Whites....haven't heard anything bad....I would say yes....buy big as you can afford. ...I'm sure in a year I will have a Minelab CTX 3030 or whatever it's called thinking it will find me more stuff.....Although I know better. ...350 has found me a lot of silver as well as the ATP....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only been detecting for a little more than a year. ...I started with a 350 then upgraded to an ATP...funny thing is I did an air test a week ago (for what it's worth) and I swear the 350 was getting better depth...can't comment on Whites....haven't heard anything bad....I would say yes....buy big as you can afford. ...I'm sure in a year I will have a Minelab CTX 3030 or whatever it's called thinking it will find me more stuff.....Although I know better. ...350 has found me a lot of silver as well as the ATP....
I owned both for a while and noticed the same thing in my test bed. The Ace had better depth.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out the Eurotek Pro by Tecknetics. I love mine. better than my Ace 250 and way better than my F2. JMO

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is what I would suggest based upon your budget. What I like about this package is that you get 3 search coils, and the Fisher machines come with a 5 year warranty. Never used one but a friend just getting into the hobby asked me to do a little research for him and this is what I suggested to him. So far he is loving it. Fisher Metal Detectors For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

OP
OP
T

TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i bit the bullet , bought the whites coinshooter after,spending,2 hours questioning the rep. Took it out for 5 min and already like it! Thanks everyone for the input

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread