Looks can Be Deceiving. Ever Try Diving in a Washing Machine?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Took off yesterday afternoon to stay overnight on my boat. Wanted to hit a spot in the lake that looked promising. BIG mistake. So many boats out there I thought I was diving in a washing machine. Waves from the boats coming at me every which way and I was tossed back and forth on the bottom like crazy. I had to quit as I was getting sea sick. I used less than a thousand pounds of air so I was underwater about an hour.

A mid tone EVERY sweep Sometimes more than one. ALL 30 cal bullets from WW1 airplane target practice. I actually got sick of mid tones. I did get some great sounding round pull tabs and the high tones gave me some weird brass pieces and a 1918 penny. I accidentally left that bag of goodies on the boat.

Today I used the rest of the tank at Poor Man's Beach. Water was filthy and couldn't see more than a few inches. By the looks of the coins I THOUGHT I found a silver quarter and two silver dimes. WRONG.

The black quarter is a 1990 and one of the black dimes is a 2015. The other black dime is a 1947. Usually brown coins are clad and black are silver. Sure fooled me this time.

Called it a day early on. Had pressing things to do. However, I know there is more gold in that their water. Just got to find it.

Upvote 19

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never knew the military did target practice over some of the great lakes.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Never knew the military did target practice over some of the great lakes.

Yes, right outside of Selfridge ANG base. First air force base to have Jenny airplanes in 1916. (Snoopy biplane) I have found 5 practice bombs out there and two machine gun magazines now from Lewis machine guns.

Busch0704

Jul 22, 2017
Anderson, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are those practice bombs for sale? I would love one! Lol jk...but I do like what you found, really sweet

Samsung S8+

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Are those practice bombs for sale? I would love one! Lol jk...but I do like what you found, really sweet

Samsung S8+

I gave three away. These two I am going to have striped, painted and new fins put on for two of my grandsons. I will find more. Just haven't taken the time to look. I have thought about selling them. Just haven't found more to do that with yet. They are pretty neat. Mark 1 practice bombs from 1916. Very first bombs dropped from airplanes.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever had a close call with a boat nearly ramming you? Good Lord! Be careful out there. There be idiots on the water!:angry9:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds Scuba...that's a whole different arena you're in down there...stay safe and 'keep on keeping on'....:thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice relic finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Have you ever had a close call with a boat nearly ramming you? Good Lord! Be careful out there. There be idiots on the water!:angry9:

WAY too many to count. I was even rolled over by the keel of a snailboat. Luckily it didn't hit my head. I have horror stories but I am still alive.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always love the ScubaDetector posts, and you come through again! Thanks for sharing the story and finds. :icon_thumleft:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ID SAY BETTER THAN GOING THRU THE RINGER>

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!!! Those practice bombs are so cool!!! Congrats and HH

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Scuba. I like those military practice bombs. Those things are "the bomb" !

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love what you find under the water and it still makes me want to go do it. I really have to learn to dive. Congrats on some interesting items. I want one of them practice bombs and one of them machine gun rings.....they look cool.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScubaDetector, Always enjoy your post, and other water hunters as well. I've never really water hunted in 25+ years of detecting, but have always wondered. Did my first REAL attempt last week, a neighbors friend lost her wedding ring doing a photo shoot of some sort, and was frantic, called all around for help, renting a detector etc, Enter me, thru my neighbor. Met with the lady, followed her to the location, and geared up, chest waders, sand scoop, AT Pro, and was ready, MUCH to her credit, narrowed it down to the spot, 3 to 4' wide, about 3 to 4' out. Within 10 minutes after one pull tab, found the ring, 18k white gold w/ large diamond. What a thrill, even more so to call her cell just after she had left. Was one happy young lady. Think I've been hooked. So now, I want to do more. I will NEVER be a REAL diver per say, but plan on teaching myself to snorkel, complete with a two piece wet suit, face mask & boots. Just detecting in water waist to chest high will open up a whole new world of detecting to me, more so with rocky bottoms where a scoop is useless. I am planning on taking a diving course as well, only because I believe it to be a good thing to do. I am looking forward to it, while using common sense for me. shallow water, clear, little to no current, just want to see what I could not see before. Keep posting Scuba, always interesting to see what a real diver can find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread