Looks like it won’t be another day at the park. I got BANNED.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This public City Park, dating back to the 1850’s,and where I’ve been going to for 3 years has come to an end. I was told today by the Park’s Police that I had a complaint called on me, but they excused it but the they got another call from the same person to a “high up” so they have to check into it to see if there’s a rule or law against me. The officer to down my name and number and promised me man-to-man that he would let me know, good or bad, a let me know. I could tell he felt bad. He also thanked me for how I handled myself and to me how sorry he was.

The park is 1300 acres so I could always spread out in locations but when I stumbled across that 3 ringer in November it was in a more populated area near the museum and that did me in. I can’t lie I always wanted one more and it gave them up one at a time with a total of 28. Unfortunately it was in a 40x40ft spot and with the large chucks of clay and them being down 8” to a foot the plugs where very lumpy and noticeable. I hit it pretty hard and often on a 3 ringer bender and it caught up with me man it hard to stop a spot when it’s hot. Hopefully good news will come my way and I learn a lesson, if not I’ll have to look at is as a opportunity to look else where, water hunt this summer or start my 2018 door knocking career. When one door closes another one will open. I will miss you my friend. Thank you for giving me many happy days.

R.I.P. City Park (2015-2018)

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try across the street... that is probably where the really good stuff really is anyway.

I have noticed in my time... "they" are usually "off" on exactly what happened where anyway.

Time to plot the next logical spot with permission next to that park.

Like raining on one side of the street and not the other. :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Truth1253 : Let me see if I understand this correctly: A) You've been hunting the park for 3 yrs. with no issues, right ? B) There's no express/specific rule re.: metal detecting , right ? (just ancillary verbiage that you *might* make a hole, blah blah). C) But now a single fluke busy-body complaint comes in, right ? D) EVEN THE COP didn't have a problem with you, RIGHT ?

Then I hate to say it, and I know people will disagree with me, but : I do not consider fluke experiences like that to constitute "new law/rule going forward". Oh ... sure ... I'll give lip service at the time. And .. oh sure : I'll give the park a rest for a month.

But I can tell you SCORES of such "scrams" that turned out to be nothing but isolated incidents. And ... later on, I find out someone else continues to go with utterly no problem (singular lookie-lou gone or whatever). So... I bravely join them one day. 10 or 20 yrs. pass, and we never hear "boo" again. :dontknow: And as you can see, if I'd /we'd gone "seeking clarifications", we could have ended up swatting hornet's nests.

I would also add: This is EXACTLY why I do 90% of my nice manicured park turf hunting at night (over ... at least ... very low traffic times). So peaceful. So serene.

Last edited:

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I don't understand that either.

Could it be possibly another detectorist filing a complaint to get you to move on, since you may be close to an area they search a lot, with positive results?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try across the street... that is probably where the really good stuff really is anyway.

I have noticed in my time... "they" are usually "off" on exactly what happened where anyway.

Time to plot the next logical spot with permission next to that park.

Like raining on one side of the street and not the other. :)

Yeah AARC all the minie balls where dropped so there wasn’t a battle around there. I’m telling you it was a huge surprise never finding any anywhere else it was a fluke it found the first one. The rest of the neighborhood are old house 6ft from each other with small manicured lawns.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about your "Honey Hole" issue. Fingers crossed that they can't find an ordinance that they can use to make the park off limits.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth1253 : Let me see if I understand this correctly: A) You've been hunting the park for 3 yrs. with no issues, right ? B) There's no express/specific rule re.: metal detecting , right ? (just ancillary verbiage that you *might* make a hole, blah blah). C) But now a single fluke busy-body complaint comes in, right ? D) EVEN THE COP didn't have a problem with you, RIGHT ?

Then I hate to say it, and I know people will disagree with me, but : I do not consider fluke experiences like that to constitute "new law/rule going forward". Oh ... sure ... I'll give lip service at the time. And .. oh sure : I'll give the park a rest for a month.

But I can tell you SCORES of such "scrams" that turned out to be nothing but isolated incidents. And ... later on, I find out someone else continues to go with utterly no problem (singular lookie-lou gone or whatever). So... I bravely join them one day. 10 or 20 yrs. pass, and we never hear "boo" again. :dontknow: And as you can see, if I'd /we'd gone "seeking clarifications", we could have ended up swatting hornet's nests.

I would also add: This is EXACTLY why I do 90% of my nice manicured park turf hunting at night (over ... at least ... very low traffic times). So peaceful. So serene.

I appreciate that Tom I’m gonna let some time pass and feel it out. He said he heard the message of the guy and the police told me he sounded like the stuffy Tulane lawyer type. He said he didn’t leave a name so they let it go until a higher up got a call.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't understand that either.

Could it be possibly another detectorist filing a complaint to get you to move on, since you may be close to an area they search a lot, with positive results?

No it one off those nose buds out there. There’s this one guy who yelled at me twice. He runs and bounces a ball at the same time. He’s the kind kind of guy that when he saw me shove my lesche in the ground it was like stabbing Mother Earth. Needless you say he screamed out “Jesus f’n Christ” and never stopped running. The second time I was a verbal back and he was faster. :laughing

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Fingers crossed that they can't find an ordinance that they can use to make the park off limits.

Guaranteed they can find *some* "ordinance" that an md'r could be said to be breaking. If you stood on one foot and squinted real hard. They could say you "alter" or "deface", for example. And if so, do you *really* think you're going to win the debate of semantics on whether or not you don't leave a trace ? They could say you violate the "harvest" "remove" "take" verbiage (we "take" things after all !).

Hence the less pencil-pushers think of us, the better. I have long since given up thinking I am going to please every last person in the world in my hobby. There's admitted connotations. And if you're waiting for red-carpets to be rolled out for you, and every last person to sanction and approve of you ..... You're going to have a long wait indeed.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
however it works out, if you learn to hide your plugs better it will help in the future

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I been kicked out of parks where there was no ordinance other than the park supervisor exercising authority they didn't have. I even went to the city to ck ordinances and shouldn't have done that because it raised questions on whether they needed and ordinance against detecting. Any more I leave peacefully and stay away until I hear of others going there or see others there.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah AARC all the minie balls where dropped so there wasn’t a battle around there. I’m telling you it was a huge surprise never finding any anywhere else it was a fluke it found the first one. The rest of the neighborhood are old house 6ft from each other with small manicured lawns.

Sounds like you need to do a little walkin talkin and door knockin. :)

Permission to rip up your manicured lawn PLEASE.

Pretty please with a dirt clod on top. ;)

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear Truth. It was obvious how well that park was treating you. I just hope for your sake they don't make up a 'law' stating you can't come back.

Would really be nice if people could just mind their own business.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so very sorry to hear that. I have a great book suggestion for you to read. Not a huge book however an amazing book that applies to situations such as yours. Fun reading and it will make so much sense to you I promise.
I had a similar situation in my life with corporate America when I worked in that hell . After reading this short book my life changed for the better when I realized there was better cheese out there.

E3EC185A-9F8F-4482-AFE2-E74BC212D6A4.jpeg

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjhmqjR0t3YAhWXymQKHfs5Be8YABAKGgJwag&sig=AOD64_1yUHTyEoEOSrWnx29GZrzxdc_PiQ&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiY1aHR0t3YAhXDxlQKHU-pDcoQ0QwIQw&adurl=

F10B1A55-5D2B-487A-974F-23A4BDB96E4F.jpeg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Normsel, I loved this post ! It speaks to multiple different issues :

I been kicked out of parks where there was no ordinance other than the park supervisor exercising authority they didn't have.....

As much as I'm an advocate of "grow a set and go", I have to disagree with this statement. I've looked into this long & hard legally (even consulting lawyers). It turns out that authority (cops, duly-appointed city employee gardener, etc...) DO INDEED have a bit of latitude to interpret and apply.

Why do you think we have laws on the books that are vague ? (example: Laws that forbid "annoyances"). Because it's simply impossible to create laws/rules that would address every last conceivable thing that might arise in the field.

Thus they CAN INDEED say you're "harming earthworms" or "defacing the foilage" or "taking/removing" or "risk disturbing indian bones" blah blah blah. I too used to think there had be specific express wording say: "No metal detecting".

Now is this to say that "Therefore, we should all grovel every place we go, and ask "do I violate these things?" Or "mother may I please detect ?" NO ! But on the other hand, they do indeed have the liberty to come appraise you. And if you disagree with their interpretation, you ask for a ticket , and go fight it in court. NOW OBVIOUSLY no one wants to go through that hassle. So .... of course, you're better off just avoiding a person who might gripe. Why swat hornet's nests ?

Just avoid all such interactions and pick lower traffic times ! Like nose-picking: Use more discreet timing so as not to offend the squeemish. Some people might call that "sneaking around". Ok, fine: Sneak around. Sheesk.

Your next statement is a DRUM I'VE BEEN BEATING FOR YEARS :

.... I even went to the city to ck ordinances and shouldn't have done that because it raised questions on whether they needed and ordinance against detecting......

EXACTLY. If you/we go "seeking clarifications" and "grovelling for permission" (where it's not needed) then ... sure: Someone there has images of "geeks with shovels". And could decide "Gee, we need a law to address this 'pressing issue' " ! And I've proposed that a lot of our rules (where it is in fact specifically addressed) STARTED EXACTLY LIKE THAT. I've personally seen it happen.

.... Any more I leave peacefully and stay away until I hear of others going there or see others there.

Exactly. I too go by the "what is reality?" test of things. Not "how many hornet's nests can I swat?" Aka: Grow a set.

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A craiglist ad offering to find lost items will give more sites to hunt than any other way. One guy one here gets paid good money to find lost items in the water from boaters. If you find a lost wedding ring for a farmers wife, you might gain access to areas way better than a park!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m sorry to hear this Truth. You will be alright either way. Good luck buddy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread