Looks to be silver,Old coin possibly?

CrownVic26

Aug 19, 2013
Mounds View, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-pro,BH Legacy 3500 W/ Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this piece yesterday in a yard in duluth, MN near downtown.I'm curious what this is. Its really thin and is double sided.

ForumRunner_20140511_081902.png

ForumRunner_20140511_081914.png

Anybodys info would be much appreciated. Have no clue what it could be. To me, it looks like a ship with sails.it also has some dots and some interesting characters around the edges. Thank you very much

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Geez, it kinda looks like you got hammered yesterday.....

Upvote 0

Hognutz

Nov 3, 2013
Williamsburg County , S.C.
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like "runes" around the edge.....Maybe you found a viking coin lost when the vikings explored the area.....ya never know.:dontknow:

ETA:Google. "old viking coins"

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
is that a boat in the center?...need both sides up close and the story that comes with it.

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/roskilde2008.html could be the guy who hammered it.I'm no expert but I am leaning towards modern rendering.test for silver 1st.then move forward in your research.

cheers

having trouble with link...working on it...this is the google image that will take you there...search,hammered viking coin"then visit page.... images (2).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CrownVic26

CrownVic26

Aug 19, 2013
Mounds View, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I couldn't open the link. All the info I have on it is that I dug it up in the front yard of a house in duluth mn. The oldest neighborhood in duluth near downtown. Here's a few pics of it as close as I could get. Thank you for your help all.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140511_114039.png
    ForumRunner_20140511_114039.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CrownVic26

CrownVic26

Aug 19, 2013
Mounds View, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definately looks to me like there is a ship with a sail in the center of the item other then that I do not know anything about it

Upvote 0

jarhead0341

Oct 12, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minnesota was mostly settled by Scandinavians so it is possible that it could be mighty old.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CrownVic26

CrownVic26

Aug 19, 2013
Mounds View, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes thank you very much for your help! If you could translate as much of it as you can I would greatly appreciate it! I'm going to head home and research elder futhark to get some more info on an approximate year!

Upvote 0

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
* It appears to be a mixture of "Elder Futhark" and "Swedish-Norwegian Futhark" not uncommon during the viking age..
Here is an attempt at the description from what I could gather from the photo's that you've provided..
rune.jpg

Upvote 0

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes thank you very much for your help! If you could translate as much of it as you can I would greatly appreciate it! I'm going to head home and research elder futhark to get some more info on an approximate year!

Since there is no dated record of the Elder Futhark, there is for the others and they started around 800 AD

Upvote 0

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The translation could mean " That this is a gift to the people (Native Americans or in Viking saga terminology "Skraelings") to travel the waters (great lakes) because they need land to farm"

If my description is correct, this would date the coin between 900-1100 AD when Christianity was pushing the Pagan Northmen out of Scandinavia and Northern Europe..

Helluland/Markland Sagas

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread