Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I mentioned in the Gold Rush thread that when I was around 8 or 9 years of age, I used to play on an abandoned dredge like Tony's in Warren ID. I thought I might have a picture of it and sure enough two hours later, here is the one and only I have...in COLOR even! Just wish I could make it bigger. (hint hint) :thumbsup:

12814.jpg

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff, what a cool place to play as a kid! I can just imagine today
that no mother would allow their kid anywhere near that for
fear their little baby might get a scratch...lol

Did the best I could to clean up the pic; removed smudges
and stains, and added a little contrast. Check it out at max size.

12814-2.jpg

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it still there? be fun to dig out in front of it and see what they were chasin' :)

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Knowing what you know now you could probably find a picker stuck in the frame somewhere.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Knowing what you know now you could probably find a picker stuck in the frame somewhere.

If I found that I'd be scraping every bit of remaining
sand/gravel off the drag-buckets and any belts that
remained...:occasion14:

dmurphy

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
NOX 600
MXT
Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow it looks like it is still there, Or at least pieces as of 7-18-13. Google Earth 45-17' 27.93" N 115-41' 45.96" W. Just north of Warren. If that one dredge moved all that material that is amazing. Looks to be 2 miles by 1/2 mile it went through.
Just amazing.

On second look, It looks like the town is on the tailings. Wonder how long that took the dredge to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow it looks like it is still there, Or at least pieces as of 7-18-13. Google Earth 45-17' 27.93" N 115-41' 45.96" W. Just north of Warren. If that one dredge moved all that material that is amazing. Looks to be 2 miles by 1/2 mile it went through.
Just amazing.

On second look, It looks like the town is on the tailings. Wonder how long that took the dredge to do.

Wow, that is way cool dmurphy. Hadn't even thought about Google Earth. There were MILES of trailings south of town. The water filled in...dredge ponds were created and brook trout thrived in every one (take that enviro-nazi's). I have a LOT of pics from there back in the day. The mine across from town, (East?) across Warren Creek is the Little Giant lode mine. It was built on tailings of 200 feet high and 800 feet long. I'll bet that still shows up. It had been long closed when I found it in the 60's. I even have pictures of the tombstones of the China men that died there and were buried on Boot Hill. Yes...really the name. There was a lode mine in the center of town that was converted to a jail. My Dad owned the bar (Last Chance Saloon) where the last hanging in town was done.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a great play ground. When I lived in Buena Vista Colorado I worked for a time in Frisco Colorado and drove by this massive dredge outside of Fairplay Colorado on the way to work in the early 1980s. I moved later to California in 1986 and when I came back to Colorado in around 1989. I took a drive up where this dredge was and it was gone, so I asked someone in Fairplay where heck did that dredge go. I was told it was dismantled and shipped to some huge placer operation down in South America someplace. I never found out where in South America it ever went to. It was a monster of a dredge and it left a huge trail of destruction of the banks of the upper middle fork of the South Platte River. I guess it was the only way anyone could make a profit on Colorado rivers full of nothing but flour gold, but I'm sure they did come buy some bigger pieces seeing the amount of material they dug up with this machine.

Attachments

• FairplayDredge.jpg
    FairplayDredge.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 190

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jeff.... Karen just called me and begged me to talk you out of playing Tony Beets and picking it up as a restoration project. :laughing7: :headbang: if only we could afford a toy like that!!!!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd gladly pay to play on Tonys' dredge for a hour or so when up and running,the sounds,vibrations and massive machinery hungeryly munching up 1,000s a cubic yards....soooo cool-John

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tamrock, the Fairplay dredge is in Columbia now. Happily, there's another big dredge nearby...sitting on the property of the Snowstorm Sand and Gravel company, half way between Fairplay and Alma. I had the pleasure of a private tour of it two summers ago...got to climb ALL over it: giant trommel, over a dozen sluices, 50+ foot long stacker. Way cool. A group of us are working to move it so it's accessible to the public and can be preserved :)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After you give it a very good cleaning I hope Kev!

I definitely wanna get in there with some needle nosed pliers to pull pickers out of cracks, a little dust broom and a pan!

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big dredges are great, I used to play (and party) on one outside of La Grange, CA in the 70's. The dredge is still there, across from the 4WD park south of town on J59. At the time, the buckets were still hanging and it was pretty well intact. In the early 80's, as gold went over $800 an oz., a firm from Canada started dismantling it in hopes to move it up to Canada. The price of gold dropped and they packed up their stuff and left. Most of the dredge is still there, much of it is in pieces all over the ground. A lot of people don't know but the La Grange area used to look like the Snelling area but in the late 60's and early 70's they used the tailings to build New Don Pedro dam.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions