Looowww Serial Number...

OP
OP
C

chargerRT

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah I know, but regardless this low of a serial number should still be of value,I am just curious to see what you all think it would be worth?

OP
OP
C

chargerRT

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah dr detector we both must be out of it, i think this bill is worth way more than any star note i have, i will get back with you and try to post pictures here soon, sniffer im afraid you are alittle off on this one

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I know the bill comes from the reserve in Kansas City, what is the denomination, what makes it special ? is a limited year ?
is printed in a different color ? the information you've provided is worthless. unless there is something that sets this bill apart, it's still only worth face value. try calling a local paper currency dealer, he'll tell you the same thing

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Well here goes nothing:

Sniffer said:
I know the bill comes from the reserve in Kansas City, what is the denomination

The denomination can only be $1. $1s were the only denomination printed with that serial block combination.

Sniffer said:
what makes it special ?

If the title of his thread didn't already clue you in...

Sniffer said:
is a limited year ?

He said it was a 1995 note, plus even if he hadn't, it would have to be a 1995 note assuming it is a modern FRN. 1995 saw the highest number of $1 notes printed compared to ALL other modern FRN series.

Sniffer said:
is printed in a different color ?

Not sure what you're talking about here.

Sniffer said:
the information you've provided is worthless.

He gave a full serial number, series, it can ONLY be a $1 note, and he gave a description of the condition. What else did you want?

Sniffer said:
unless there is something that sets this bill apart, it's still only worth face value.

Still wrong...see post 5...he's got a $20 offer on it.

Sniffer said:
try calling a local paper currency dealer, he'll tell you the same thing

If your local dealer is completely out of touch with his own line of work...then I would agree.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
call a dealer, I did, it's worth 1 dollar. just because it has a low # does not make it valuable unless it's part of a complete sheet or uncirculated.
you may have someone willing to pay 20$ for it and I'd sell it in a heartbeat

OP
OP
C

chargerRT

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
Sniffer, alot to read here but for your own good here is way you can make yourself alittle money next time you think its "just worth face value" :icon_thumright:

[size=11pt]Low numbered notes: A note with a serial 0000999 or less is considered to have a "low serial number". Generally, the lower the number, the higher the value.
Serial 0000001: $450

Values of bills that are not in uncirculated condition are less. Generally, the prices are:
AU (About uncirculaterd condition) 80% of the UNC price
EF (EXTRA FINE): 60% of the UNC price
VF (VERY FINE): 40% of the UNC price
F (FINE) : 25% of the UNC price
VG (VERY GOOD): 15% of the UNC price

UNCIRCULATED - UNC: A perfect note. Crisp and clean as issued and without any folds, creases, blemishes or discolouration. Colours have original hue and brightness. Some issues may have ripples [as made]. Mention must be made if the design is not perfectly centered with usual width of margins.

ABOUT UNCIRCULATED - AU: Similar to Uncirculated but with the allowance of a light fold [usually a vertical center fold] or two or three very light counting folds, but not both. Counting creases resulting in broken paper fibres, or any other creases, reduce the grade depending on their number and severity. The practice of using "almost" and "about" to designate a slightly lower or a plus in the case of lower grades to designate in-between grades is common, e.g. "almost AU" or "EF plus". Notes not perfectly centered with width of margins must be so described.

EXTREMELY FINE - EF: Similar to Almost Uncirculated but the centre fold, vertical or horizontal, may be a crease, i.e. paper fibres are broken, or there may be up to three heavy counting folds [not creases] or two light creases, but no combination of the above. The centering and margins if not perfect must be noted.

VERY FINE - VF: A fairly crisp and clean note. It may have several major and minor creases and folds, and some evidence of wear especially along the edges or at the corners. There may be some slight decrease in hue and intensity of the colours. The design in the creases should not be worn off.

FINE - F: A note with considerable evidence of circulation. Numerous creases and folds, but a small degree of firmness remaining. Usually fairy soiled and the hue and intensity of the colour are slightly reduced. There may be a slight amount of the design worn off along the major creases. Creases should not be worn off.

VERY GOOD - VG: A heavily circulated note but with all the major design still visible. Usually limp with no crispness or firmness, quite soiled, hue and intensity of the colour will be faded or altered. A moderate amount of the design may be worn off along the major creases or in the "counting creases" areas. Numerous other defects may apply [see list below]

GOOD - G: Soft and very limp, often with tears and small pieces missing. Usually some of the major design is worn off. Note may be quite dark in appearance. Manuscript signatures, dates and sheet numbers may be worn off or entirely faded out. Often has numerous tears and other defects.

FAIR - F: Similar to GOOD, but larger pieces missing. Manuscript signatures, dates and sheet numbers may be worn off or entirely faded out. Often has numerous tears and other defects.

POOR - P: As a fair note, but with a major portion of the note torn off or the design obliterated. Often numerous tape repairs. Generally collectable only because of rarity

In addition, . These should include:

1. Minor counting creases or edge defects, especially for EF and AU grades.
2. Tears, pinholes or signature perforations.
3. Stains, smudges, crayon marks or writing.
4. Missing corners, cut and punch cancellations or edge defects.
5. Rubber stamp impressions.
6. Any repairs, such as with sticky tape, scotch tape, stamp hinge, etc.
7. Chemical damage, paste or glue from attachment to a page.
8. Poorly centered or badly trimmed edges.

consider the general appearance, amount of wear, the hue and intensity of the colour of both the face and back. If the note is Fine or better it should be held obliquely in line with a good light source. Move it around at various angles, such that the light will reflect off the note highlighting any ripples, counting creases, heavy creases, pressed out creases, tears, pinholes cancellations, repairs or fading

GOOD LUCK!
[/size]

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Charger:
I see your response is a copy of another's response one year ago to the same question found here:
http://www.webanswers.com/games/what-is-my-low-serial-number-1-dollar-bill-worth-a2ae32

In that response, user name "Angela 8194" was addressing the question regarding a 2003 note. Are you suggesting the same value ($450) you mentioned in your response is reasonable for the note first mentioned in this thread--if it were #1?

I didn't see where "Angela" states whether or not she is an expert or a dealer in this type of note. Are you?
Personally, I'd like to know an expert's opinion to the original question you posed. It's a good question.
Any takers?
Don.........

OP
OP
C

chargerRT

Greenie
Feb 26, 2009
From a quick google search I found that and just kind of used that as a guide more than a bible for this note, Of course in the long run this bill is worth what ever someone will pay for it, it was on the third sheet to ever be printed for this series and I think that's pretty cool. Regardless of whatever everyone feels I don't plan on retiring from this bill but I think my 1 dollar investment will work to my benefit before too long! And no I am no expert and in respect for sniffer I called my local numismatic shop that I deal with and they said that they weren't interested in it, but to each their own and we will see what happens... but I do see eBay in this little guys future!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
thank you ChargerRT. I think ebay would be a good place too. as long as you get enough to cover fees

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
Serial # 66 is the 66th note printed whether the run is 300K or 900K. Jeez worth face value? Come on it's a dollar. Sure it would be worth more if it was a star note or from a smaller run but how many notes with that low a serial # does anyone have in their collections? The condition will probably hold it back more that anything. Put it on EBay. Someone will definitely want it for their collection because it's rare to see a serial # that low period. You're only in it face value. How could you go wrong?

mrbelvetron

Jun 15, 2004
Cleburne, TX.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
It is a low serial number for that block of notes, however, it was not the 66th note printed. The 66th note printed (I believe, not an expert by any means) would have an A in place of the G, then another 66th note for the B group, and so on until the G group was printed.

If it's going to be sold, you should get significantly more than face value but I have no idea how much, especially considering the condition.

The target market would be collectors of "fancy serial numbers" and you may get block collectors interested since it is the 66th note for that block.

The best bet would be ebay, but get online and contact some paper money dealers about it.

Pictures would be most welcome.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Sniffer said:
call a dealer, I did, it's worth 1 dollar. just because it has a low # does not make it valuable unless it's part of a complete sheet or uncirculated.
you may have someone willing to pay 20$ for it and I'd sell it in a heartbeat

It's worth more than face value for sure. I sold a three digit $1 for $150 on eBay last year. folks on here said it was worth face value.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a liars dollar its worth some money 6 10's would be hard to beat on a good nite you could earn some good $$$$

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Values aren't written in stone and book values for this type of thing are usually higher than the selling price, realistically. It's worth what someone will pay for it. Is it worth more than face value? Of course. How much more? Who knows, in Fair to Good condition i'd hop on the $20 offer myself, after I played it out in a game of liars poker first. Nice find, if you do own the note. Remember, as with many finds condition means everything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread