Loose halves and rolls, 13 banks skunked

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after a really good start to my CRH career(3 40%s and a 1954 Franklin I mentioned in a previous thread) I decided to hit up more banks on my way home from work the past couple days. Didn't keep an exact count but I think I stopped at 13 banks or credit unions in all. Came away with $18.50 in loose halves and $370 in rolls.

Decided on a dump bank to get rid of the first $100 and when I was there the teller said kind of woefully "Aww I just got rid of all my halves." I asked her how many, she had $700, dang. Speaking with tellers I confirmed there is another CRH in my area as I expected since half of the banks I stopped at told me someone just bought all their halves(I also noticed a few marked coins). Also I know you should always ask for large dollars but there was confusion with several tellers as to what I meant. My heart skipped a beat when one teller told me they had $1200 when I asked for large dollar coins. I quickly came down to earth when I figured out they were just sacs or presidentials. Oh well.

Didn't find any AG but hey I can't be as lucky as my first day every day. I did get a 1990 P that is really shiny, I don't really know much about grading as of yet but it's the least circulated half dollar I've seen, still only worth FV but I'm considering keeping it for now just cause it's so pretty. Definitely considering asking the bank I got my first $100 from will order me a box. The hunt will continue!

Anyway that brings my total searched to $388.50. That number will hopefully rise this weekend as we are going out of town and I've convinced my wife to let me stop at at least one bank along the way tomorrow.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gotten a 1964, a 1952 Franklin and 4 40%'ers out of $3000 face value. Not profitable, but kinda fun looking.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often hear "I just got rid of all my halves" or something similar too. I think some of the tellers are lying or "just" means anywhere between ten minutes and ten weeks ago, because it happens too often.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
All of my banks have casual roll hunters, or just customers that ask for halves, or "silver" coins. Day after day, after day...

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Im studying for my chemistry midterm that im gonna take tomorrow so i have to correct you (for practice)

the correct symbol for silver is Ag with the Atomic number of 47 (personal hint: my initials are Ag and i like silver so Ag is silver)

However the symbol for Gold is Au with the Atomic number of 79

OP
OP
G

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giniro what city do you live in?

Well I don't want to say exactly(not sure why just wierd feeling with narrowing it down), but it should be sufficient to say I am in the Columbus Metropolitan Area(big area I know). That's why I figure there must be other CRHers in the area, that and the other things I mentioned.

Good luck on your chemistry midterm. I did know that the correct symbol is Ag, must have just held the shift key down too long and didn't notice.

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the southwest Ohio area. You stay up there in Cbus and I'll stay down here! :-)

OP
OP
G

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the southwest Ohio area. You stay up there in Cbus and I'll stay down here! :-)
No problem, I never get down that way anyhow. Can't say the same about the area between columbus and SW Michigan though, I've gone back and forth that route to the tune of about 10,000 miles on my car since I moved down here 6 months ago.
Speaking of that route, I went that way this weekend and was only able to hit 4 banks on the way(that's all time and the wife would allow). Got about $10 in loose halves and a roll all clad. Actually had a teller at a 5/3rd refuse to sell me the single half she had because I don't have an account. That was weird to me like I could understand if I was buying like $100 in rolls but she really couldn't exchange my 2 quarters for her 1 half. Must be branch specific because I definitely got $40 in halves at a different 5/3rd last Wednesday.

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
giniro said:
No problem, I never get down that way anyhow. Can't say the same about the area between columbus and SW Michigan though, I've gone back and forth that route to the tune of about 10,000 miles on my car since I moved down here 6 months ago.
Speaking of that route, I went that way this weekend and was only able to hit 4 banks on the way(that's all time and the wife would allow). Got about $10 in loose halves and a roll all clad. Actually had a teller at a 5/3rd refuse to sell me the single half she had because I don't have an account. That was weird to me like I could understand if I was buying like $100 in rolls but she really couldn't exchange my 2 quarters for her 1 half. Must be branch specific because I definitely got $40 in halves at a different 5/3rd last Wednesday.
Most of the time they are glad to be rid of them.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bad Wolf said:
Hey D1MES, wondering if you can help me out--I can't remember for the life of me the atomic weight of Einsteinium...

Ya, I have trouble with that one as well.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at about 13 banks in the Sanford area and got skunked too on all of them. Picked up some halves at a few banks, loose and in rolls, but nothing good. I thought it would be better since I was out of town and hadn't been to those banks before, but no.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread