Lorain Steel Co.

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Well I have had my eyes open. I found a $2 coin in the railway carpark! Then I was looking at some railway track that has been used as posts to support a sign. One was marked Lorain Steel Co, Lorain, 1901! The three other track posts have other markings from early 1900s. I will take the cam with me tomorrow and post a pic.

I might have found yet ANOTHER hobby, staring at railway tracks!

I believe Lorain is in Ohio. Does anyone know anything about this steel company? I suspect it is long gone, but its kinda cool that it was exporting railway track to Australia over 100 years ago. No doubt the ship backloaded with wheat, wool or something similar.

I found this link. Seems the Yanks were undercutting everyone, that reminds me, do you know how copper wire was invented? Two scotsmen were arguing over a penny!

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=980DE0DC1131E733A25752C3A9659C946897D6CF

Upvote 0

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305
Havent lived there since childhood but Lorain is the sister city to Elyria Ohio. Both cities were large manufacturing towns but last I remeber Lorain looked more like a ghost town. Elyria is home to Ridge tool, Moen, and a few other large manufactures. Lorain used to have a few car plants as well as steel plants in it hey day. My grandfather was at one time the longest living retiree of Lorain steel before he died at 105yrs. old. :coffee2:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
u.s. steel lorain works has been in operation since the 1800's. lived there for 11 years before moving to the country. national tube and lorain crane were also from lorain. yes it is ohio.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread