LOSEING MONEY

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far in the last three weeks, I have gone through about a thousand dollars in pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and half dollars. All I have to show for it is a 1964 dime, and a 1943P nickel. Folks, thats 15 silver cents, that's it! If you figure the gas going back and forth to the bank, and the hours spent going through the rolls, well I am loseing money. Today I keep track. I drove about 24 miles back and forth to and from the bank. I went through $500.00 in half dollars and got skunked. I went through $50.00 in dimes and got skunked. I went through $30.00 in nickels and got a 1939P and a 1940P nickel. I went through $10.00 in pennies and got two wheats a 1920 and a 1940s. I got a canada penny, a deutschland 2 pfennic, and 149 copper pennies. I put the 1982 pennies aside, and I weighed em, and out of twenty one, 1982's, fourteen were copper. You guys will be glad to hear, I am about to quit this CRH and just metal detect. I'm glad for those of you who make it work. For me, it's just too much time and gas cosumed for the rewards.
HH every one.

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

OtlFrutiger

Apr 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just think about it like a treasure hunt. It's getting tougher to follow a pirate's treasure map these days or put on an Indiana Jones costume and find some ancient Egyptian gold. So for me, this is a distant 2nd. Sometimes for giggles, I tell people I'm a prospector when they ask why I keep doing it.

There are ups and downs. When I first started, it took me 10 boxes before I found a single silver dime. I didn't know what I was doing and I was searching through the wrong kind of stuff. Go back and read some of the earlier posts on this site. There are a lot of wise hunters who are willing to share quite a bit of what they learn. Some of it may be just getting used to more efficient/successful ways of doing things. But, you are probably not going to become wealthy from coin roll hunting. Just have fun and keep yourself busy. You know what they say about "idle hands."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread