LOSEING MONEY

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far in the last three weeks, I have gone through about a thousand dollars in pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and half dollars. All I have to show for it is a 1964 dime, and a 1943P nickel. Folks, thats 15 silver cents, that's it! If you figure the gas going back and forth to the bank, and the hours spent going through the rolls, well I am loseing money. Today I keep track. I drove about 24 miles back and forth to and from the bank. I went through $500.00 in half dollars and got skunked. I went through $50.00 in dimes and got skunked. I went through $30.00 in nickels and got a 1939P and a 1940P nickel. I went through $10.00 in pennies and got two wheats a 1920 and a 1940s. I got a canada penny, a deutschland 2 pfennic, and 149 copper pennies. I put the 1982 pennies aside, and I weighed em, and out of twenty one, 1982's, fourteen were copper. You guys will be glad to hear, I am about to quit this CRH and just metal detect. I'm glad for those of you who make it work. For me, it's just too much time and gas cosumed for the rewards.
HH every one.

Upvote 0

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
This isn't about making money or getting rewards, its for fun. Most people on this site have nothing better to to, than look through rolls of coins for their enjoyment, a purely intrinsic reason, not an extrinsic. If AG dropped to nothing, I'd still C/H/R, just for fun. I thought this thread was going to be about 'loosing track of' money, I've lost about $500 by shuffling coins back and forth the past couple of weeks, I'm pretty upset, considering I don't know where it went, maybe a teller cheated me, maybe I have a pile of coins somewhere.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far in the last three weeks, I have gone through about a thousand dollars in pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and half dollars. All I have to show for it is a 1964 dime, and a 1943P nickel. Folks, thats 15 silver cents, that's it! If you figure the gas going back and forth to the bank, and the hours spent going through the rolls, well I am loseing money. Today I keep track. I drove about 24 miles back and forth to and from the bank. I went through $500.00 in half dollars and got skunked. I went through $50.00 in dimes and got skunked. I went through $30.00 in nickels and got a 1939P and a 1940P nickel. I went through $10.00 in pennies and got two wheats a 1920 and a 1940s. I got a canada penny, a deutschland 2 pfennic, and 149 copper pennies. I put the 1982 pennies aside, and I weighed em, and out of twenty one, 1982's, fourteen were copper. You guys will be glad to hear, I am about to quit this CRH and just metal detect. I'm glad for those of you who make it work. For me, it's just too much time and gas cosumed for the rewards.
HH every one.

yea I feel that way a lot too. Especially when I go through thousands for a few dimes. oh well, I just go back for more!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's always been a hobby, Just like detecting. How much do you spend on gas going detecting compared to what you find? I would think you lose money on that also.
HH
enamel7

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobbies that you MAKE money doing are very rare.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't about making money or getting rewards, its for fun. Most people on this site have nothing better to to, than look through rolls of coins for their enjoyment, a purely intrinsic reason, not an extrinsic. If AG dropped to nothing, I'd still C/H/R, just for fun. I thought this thread was going to be about 'loosing track of' money, I've lost about $500 by shuffling coins back and forth the past couple of weeks, I'm pretty upset, considering I don't know where it went, maybe a teller cheated me, maybe I have a pile of coins somewhere.

you got a pile of money some were look under the dirty laundry that's were i keep mine.

CRH Rulz

Jul 17, 2012
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats the way it goes. If you are doing this to make money you would be better off using your time doing something else.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lost about $500 by shuffling coins back and forth the past couple of weeks, I'm pretty upset, considering I don't know where it went, maybe a teller cheated me, maybe I have a pile of coins somewhere.

I am getting a reading .....( fingers on temples).....The box slid under your passenger seat.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to see you go. This is what happens to probably 90% of the people that join this site though. They think they are going to make an easy buck, have a nice find to start, and then get nothing for the next month. Then get frustrated and throw their hands up and quit. I just wish when they quit, they would put the silver back in circulation. lol

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is bad and yes your hobby should pay for it self. I would just do silver coins. copper is a deadend for now. The halfs are your best bet!! Do more find more! I hope you do better trust me silver silver silver its going to be the new gold!!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
... yes your hobby should pay for it self.

I'll have to keep that in mind when I'm gardening and having to tear out more shrubs; or when I go out in my greenhouse, take note of the hundreds of dollars in orchids that have made their way to the compost bin; or when I go to the beach to metal detect and recover 12 cents in crusty clad; or when I spend the afternoon fishing, without a single bite; or...

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid for my Ryedales several times with the cents but it's not worth it when the finds are so much better with halves and there's so much less work. Besides, you can't sell the copper cents anywhere near spot price because of the melt ban. You shouldn't give up on CRH just because you lost money one week. I gave up on dimes because of too many miscounts as cents and gave up on cents because of too much trouble dumping the zincs, but still do halves.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all about the thrill of finding something good...When I go out detecting, i probally spend 5 bucks in gas, plus drinks and battery useage...>Just cant do the math on profits on Hobbies..One day when you get a solid roll or a shiiload of Silver..it will offest your loses...Dont give up if you are having fun doing it

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you figure the gas going back and forth to the bank, and the hours spent going through the rolls, well I am loseing money. Today I keep track. I drove about 24 miles back and forth to and from the bank. I went through $500.00 in half dollars and got skunked. I went through $50.00 in dimes and got skunked..

Don't forget the 2 speeding camera tickets in the mix...wait ...I can't be the only one getting these tickets. Anyone with other collateral damages while doing CRH?

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hobby of coin roll hunting is just like the hobby of being a harley fan,Unless you plan to buy parts for it and keep it on the road,You may want to look for a less expensive pass time.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget the 2 speeding camera tickets in the mix...wait ...I can't be the only one getting these tickets. Anyone with other collateral damages while doing CRH?

No More Red Light Camera Tickets. Make Your Car Invisible To Police Speed Cameras With Our License Plate Cover, PhotoBlocker Spray, Radar Detectors, GPS, GPS Camera Detectors. Got A Traffic Ticket? Don?t Pay Yet. We Can Help Fight Your Speeding Citat

Buy the spray.. I have never once gotten a ticket from a traffic light camera after this product..

P.S. I am not condoning running red lights or breaking the law in any way..

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate people who run red lights, but sometimes, they are just pieces of crap. Like the one's that say "NO TURN ON RED", yeah, Fiddy knows how to drive, right turn on red for life. Thanks addicted2AG, was getting pretty sick of those camera's, I was going to chunk a few rolls at them, now I won't need to.

Too bad it did not work for radar guns, or I'd spray it all over my car.

OP
OP
H

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, thanks guys, I forgot this is a hobby, just like metal detecting is, and I am not about to give that up. Today I went through $60.00 in dimes and got zero. And I went through $50.00 in nickels, and got a 1945-D and a 1945-S. Now I am about to try $10.00 in pennies. It is fun doing this, and for me, when I do find something, it's almost like not believing my eyes. I always have to do a double take.
Well good luck to all you good people out there.
HH

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I started out slow, and didn't find good finds until I increased my volume. Don't give up and the finds will come. I try to always remember it's a treasure hunt so just enjoy the hunt.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread