LOSING STREAM??

yankeevicjim

Greenie
Mar 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have come across a creek in california that has good gold and been prospecting it when I can due to extreme remoteness and steep canyons.. The other day i made a trip to the creek with the intention of goining further upstream. well to my amazement the creek disapeared and dry river bed was all that could be seen. I continued walking for about 200-300 yrds and just like that a creek again... this creek is 10 feet wide and at least 6 or more feet deep.. it runs through a steep canyon an the area was hydraulic mined.. I sampled about 100 feet from where the creek make it dispearance up stream and came up with some flour gold and a .2g picker..anyway any info on losing stream in refrence to gold will be helpfull .. Is this a good place to get gold if it is where should I start my search? Do I read it like an any other water body?? Any information will be helpfull...

Upvote 0

Joel1316

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's pretty interesting! Not trying to hint at anything, but that would be pretty interesting to see.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have learned about stream and river beds is that most follow a bedrock base topped with boulders and alluvial gravel.
If the bedrock drops down sharply and then rises up down stream the alluvial's will fill the space between and even out according to gravity.
The water will percolate down to the bedrock and reemerge when the water volume is greater than the depth of the alluvial's.
In some cases a clay layer can split the water table, reducing the water volume and extending the underground river.
Many river beds may look dry but by digging down water can be found.
Underground water moves slow but is constant.
I learned that the aquifers feeding the East Fork SG have built up underground for years and the water we see flowing in the dry season is around 25 years old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions