Lost a Honker Today.....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....in the fairly strong surf....solid hit....took four tries.....finally "saw it" tumble from my scoop as I was raising it after the forth attempt.....and I just don't get it....I couldn't find that thing again for the life of me. It had to be there close, flushed somewhere to my left and slightly behind. I must have spent 30 minutes trying to find it again but it just up and disappeared on me. Pretty uneven bottom today, felt like a mountain climber. A bigger scoop is #1 on my list now.......that's twice already this year! :BangHead:

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boyyyyyy fish stories ROFL. Just yanking your chain. Those can make your day turn to do do in a heart beat. Sorry.... but you know where it is it wont go to far.

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boyyyyyy fish stories ROFL. Just yanking your chain. Those can make your day turn to do do in a heart beat. Sorry.... but you know where it is it wont go to far.

Dew

That's what I thought when I lost it....can't be too far away, on top of the sand....no problem. But......:dontknow:.....only thing I can figure is the surf moved "me" around and not the ring. I'm only 138lbs and I was getting pushed around pretty good......

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I hate it when that happens .. you'll find it .. keep going to that spot ...

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh drops are hard to find ,go back tommrow and you will find it.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Sux.... It's really hard to stay in the same spot especially in ruff surf. Tell us what you saw. Was it big, small, Gold, Silver?? I haven't lost one like that yet and hope I never do. I'd probably still be there with as little gold as I have been seeing this year.... Go back and get it.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Sux.... It's really hard to stay in the same spot especially in ruff surf. Tell us what you saw. Was it big, small, Gold, Silver?? I haven't lost one like that yet and hope I never do. I'd probably still be there with as little gold as I have been seeing this year.... Go back and get it.

Hard to tell in the surf.....but it looked like a "possible" class ring. :dontknow: Tide was starting to come back in and the sand under my feet was uneven. Honestly, it was actually a pretty sloppy recovery attempt...was wearing down a little...didn't do a good job pinpointing...should have gave it up an hour earlier....I'm sure you know that story. :laughing7:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know Ron those biggies dont tend to move that much once they hit the bottom. Ive chased a target or two around..... then realized i had move a good distance from the original hole. Now thats the first thing i look for the original hole. Gotta be there man...

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know Ron those biggies dont tend to move that much once they hit the bottom. Ive chased a target or two around..... then realized i had move a good distance from the original hole. Now thats the first thing i look for the original hole. Gotta be there man...

Dew

Yep. I should have never lost sight of that original hole. Given the increase in surf, once I moved I was defeated. The big issue I have to nip in the butt ASAP is a bigger scoop.....even if I have to have it made! The one I'm using now is a custom job that I build when I had access to a shop, it was originally made for freshwater beaches so I only made a 5 1/2 x 8 bucket. I love the 90 degree and full loop handle but the bucket is just too small in the surf. I'd really like to have something around 7 x 10 in a 90 degree if I can find one but 90 degree scoops are hard to find.:dontknow:

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell in the surf.....but it looked like a "possible" class ring. :dontknow: Tide was starting to come back in and the sand under my feet was uneven. Honestly, it was actually a pretty sloppy recovery attempt...was wearing down a little...didn't do a good job pinpointing...should have gave it up an hour earlier....I'm sure you know that story. :laughing7:

I know what you mean and you're right about the scoop. I have a 5" scoop and a 7" inch scoop and the difference is like night and day. I only use the 5" when in wet sand or on vacation (it breaks down). I bought my 7" scoop about 15 years ago and it's paid for itself over and over. A good scoop costs about one nice gold ring but will save many gold rings in it's lifetime. Get a detector that you love and a scoop that you love. You won't be sorry.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that stinks

now I see the reason for the other thread "I want a bigger scoop" I don't blame you. :)

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ring fell into you shorts pocket, better go check.:tongue3: been there done that!!!!! lost items and lost original holes. how deep where you?
chuck.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh no!! Dotcha hate when that happens, lol. I'm notorious for lettin em fall out, but generally do good on snatchin it back up. Go back when your refreshed, you'll get it.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEARs AGO - I was in Clearwater - a guy there was out at his limits - bout 6 feet of water
tide was coming in - water was a little choppy - he said he got huge hit - scooped and as he raised he saw
a gold chain with 3 rings on it slip over the edge of his scoops lip - same thing as you - he frantically searched
over and over for it and went back out at low tide with no luck

I had a necklace do the same - but I always wear a mask and quickly dropped down and snagged it
I had it happen on a ring too - bottom had a strong under tow - I was in about 6 feet of water with mask and snorkel
raised my scoop and saw big ring fall of end - I dropped down to see it quick get sucked out to deeper water - bottom was slightly hard
so it did not sink - I came up - took another breathe and went back down - ring was about 6 feet from where it started and close to 7-8 feet of water

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Big scoops are outstanding, to get at those deeper targets and to get them with the first scoop (hopefully). But there is a trade off and that is weight of the scoop and once you bury the scoop in the sand. It gets dynamically stuck unless you keep moving. Then the weight of the scoop pulling it up takes additional effort! It will wear you out after several hours. Then once you get out of the water you walk funny. I should know because I use my monster scoop (ScoopZilla) the aluminum pipe is 6 ft. long see avitar. 13 pounds dry and I guestimate with a full scoop of sand matrix around 35 pounds. I am no lite weight 6'1 and 280. Oh yes if you really have very strong currents it also weather vanes in the water.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you luck.

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've seen th'ers bend over to pick up the ring they just found off the wet sand and all of a sudden a sneaky wave shows up out of nowhere and says " Not so fast ". Ring gone!! Hope you find the right scoop for yourself . Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions