Lost Buffalo Bill Treasures

surlydog

Dec 19, 2004
rock hill s.c.
This is a story I stumbled on several years ago..Being from AZ. and an avid antique gun collector and history buff, I have collected many boxs on the west. One day while reading through a book on Buffalo Bill, written by him, I cmae across the description of his suffering a great misshap whilt taking his wild west show on tour. (1880"s).It was during his trip down the Mississippi that his boat struck an obstruction in the river and rapidly sunk. He was only able to save, I belive some buffalo, stagecoach and a few other animals. ALL of the rest of the show inventory went to the bottom of the river. That means, guns, and every other type artifact that they had on the boat..In doing further research, I found NO mention of anything ever being recovered. In his words" the boat was pulling into Rodney Landing MS. when the boat when down. I went last year to look over the area and found as current maps depicted, the river is now about 9 mi. from the town..I should say here< Rodney Landing is no longer in any sense a town. There are a few souls yet living there but by and large its fading away. One unique landmark at the site is an old church with a Confederate cannon ball still embedded in its wall. Seems some 'Yankees" from a river patrol stoped to attend services. a Confederate boat came by and began shelling the church until the locals insisted they stop, as they belived a church was for every and any man..At anyrate..If someone decides to pursue this< I would sure like to be in on the hunt, The land is pretty much wooded river bottom from what i coud see..Feel free to contact me.!

S

stefen

I would suspect that its a worthy subject and the loss well documented, however, the Mississippi river is constantly changing courses and anything that's lost may be miles away from its current course, and under 50 feet of mud.

As I recall, a while back, a group dug up an old river boat that sunk in the 1800's and was found many miles inland and buried deep under a corn field.

Perserverance and a lot of backbreaking, dirty, sweaty work.

It can be done.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
stefen said:
I would suspect that its a worthy subject and the loss well documented, however, the Mississippi river is constantly changing courses and anything that's lost may be miles away from its current course, and under 50 feet of mud.

As I recall, a while back, a group dug up an old river boat that sunk in the 1800's and was found many miles inland and buried deep under a corn field.

Perserverance and a lot of backbreaking, dirty, sweaty work.

It can be done.
Clive Cussler and NUMA . 'Spending his children's inheritance' is how he termed the effort .

S

stefen

Whatever is left after having fun is considered inheritance.

Why should one scrimp, save, eat Skippy and Tuna Delight, steal sugar, jelly and katsup from the restuarant, and do without so that my impertant kids can go out and buy a new car before their tears dry.

What does this tirade have to do with the Lost Buffalo Bill Treasures...everything...it opened the valve...so there :laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should do some more research on Buffalo Bill. He was in 'show business'. No disrespect to him, but he had a tendency to embroider many of the tales he told. He was still a great entertainer.

OP
OP
S

surlydog

Dec 19, 2004
rock hill s.c.
Have done research!! Nate Salsbury a invester of Bills, have to front him the cost to restock everything so Bill could put on the New Orleans show he had on schedual

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Whatever is left after having fun is considered inheritance.

Why should one scrimp, save, eat Skippy and Tuna Delight, steal sugar, jelly and katsup from the restuarant, and do without so that my impertant kids can go out and buy a new car before their tears dry.

What does this tirade have to do with the Lost Buffalo Bill Treasures...everything...it opened the valve...so there :laughing7:

I'm onboard with you Stefen :icon_thumleft: As you pointed out earlier the only problem is that you are looking for a needle in the haystack, it could be anywhere, or nowhere :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread