Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out yesterday to help find an earring that was lost less than a year ago. I asked to scan the other one so I could know what I'm looking for. It is tiny and rings up as 1-2. I searched an area of about 10' X 20' for several hours with no luck. I've never intentionally dug so much small foil in my life. (the pic only shows half of it)

I've only had my Equinox 900 for about 6 months and must admit I have only looked for small gold one time. I put the 6" coil on and set it in Gold 1 and backed the sensitivity down to 15 so as not to go too deep. Long story short I'm looking for any advice that I can get on gold hunting or specific tips for the Nox 900. Thanks in advance.

BTW I couldn't help myself and dug the coins anyway:headbang:

Attachments

• 20230605_104426.jpg
    20230605_104426.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230605_133345.jpg
    20230605_133345.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out yesterday to help find an earring that was lost less than a year ago. I asked to scan the other one so I could know what I'm looking for. It is tiny and rings up as 1-2. I searched an area of about 10' X 20' for several hours with no luck. I've never intentionally dug so much small foil in my life. (the pic only shows half of it)

I've only had my Equinox 900 for about 6 months and must admit I have only looked for small gold one time. I put the 6" coil on and set it in Gold 1 and backed the sensitivity down to 15 so as not to go too deep. Long story short I'm looking for any advice that I can get on gold hunting or specific tips for the Nox 900. Thanks in advance.

What are you hunting in, grass, sand, dirt, water?

TreaShore

May 4, 2023
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (since 2012)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I do the same. When I am on the beach and someone comes up to me saying they lost something in an area I'll go help them find it. I do not hesitate to tell them I am still detecting for myself too. Helping the is a favor which I am happy to do, but I still want to have my own fun along the way.

OP
OP
Groundhogg

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are you hunting in, grass, sand, dirt, water?
I'm hunting in a grassy area next to a sidewalk leading to the front porch. It's where they sit in the evenings to have a cocktail. Hence all the small foil off beer bottle tops. The sidewalk has no metal structure. There is an electrical transformer on a pole about 40' away but the noise cancellation does a good job. Thanks again for any advice.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm hunting in a grassy area next to a sidewalk leading to the front porch. It's where they sit in the evenings to have a cocktail. Hence all the small foil off beer bottle tops. The sidewalk has no metal structure. There is an electrical transformer on a pole about 40' away but the noise cancellation does a good job. Thanks again for any advice.
Thanks for the explanation.
Thoughts of the lose earring:

Cocktails, belly laughs, more cocktails, bladder full, earring drops on clothing, bathroom break, short walk, earring falls off out of 10' x 20' zone.

Year later person forgets the getting up and going for bladder break.

Usually drops can be in an expanded zone, or not there at all for some weird reason. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Groundhogg

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do the same. When I am on the beach and someone comes up to me saying they lost something in an area I'll go help them find it. I do not hesitate to tell them I am still detecting for myself too. Helping the is a favor which I am happy to do, but I still want to have my own fun along the way.
Totally off subject but....the older I get the more I dream about beach hunting. My first and only time was this past April on Sand Key in Clearwater FL. No dirt, no roots, no rocks, targets dug and holes filled in a couple minutes. Not to mention a water source at your disposal. 🌴🌴🌴

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go back over the area with the sensitivity set up higher now that you're removed some of the surface junk. You might also try using Field 2 to see if you can get a good signal on the matching earring. If so, it's usually the best mode to search for small gold without going into the Gold modes. Hunt with the iron (horseshoe) turned on, Iron bias set at zero, and recovery speed at 6-7. Start by only checking out an exact number match and one number either way. You can expand that another number or two if needed, and as pepperj mentioned, expand the search area too if nothing is found in the suspected "drop zone".

OP
OP
Groundhogg

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd go back over the area with the sensitivity set up higher now that you're removed some of the surface junk. You might also try using Field 2 to see if you can get a good signal on the matching earring. If so, it's usually the best mode to search for small gold without going into the Gold modes. Hunt with the iron (horseshoe) turned on, Iron bias set at zero, and recovery speed at 6-7. Start by only checking out an exact number match and one number either way. You can expand that another number or two if needed, and as pepperj mentioned, expand the search area too if nothing is found in the suspected "drop zone".
Thanks for the advice....truly appreciated!
I'll let you know how it goes.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bravo for the effort AND the Finds...! Nice pile of clad, most dating to mid to late '70's..... :icon_thumright:
I have been on public hunts for lost jewelry before, and the pressure is on when you have several people watching you...!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe a weed eater launched it another 15ft work in a circle from ground zero outward.

OP
OP
Groundhogg

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bravo for the effort AND the Finds...! Nice pile of clad, most dating to mid to late '70's..... :icon_thumright:
I have been on public hunts for lost jewelry before, and the pressure is on when you have several people watching you...!
Thanks. The WHOLE family and the neighbors from across the street😂🤣😂
I'm 2 for 3 so far this year!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. The WHOLE family and the neighbors from across the street😂🤣😂
I'm 2 for 3 so far this year!
I'm one out of three....and, it was a man's wedding ring - boy was he grateful, gave all the cash in his wallet - so, I took my wife to dinner and movie that nite....!
I should have documented it, but it was a rush, since he was visiting from southern Calif. Yep, it fit his finger and tan line...! Fun!

OP
OP
Groundhogg

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm one out of three....and, it was a man's wedding ring - boy was he grateful, gave all the cash in his wallet - so, I took my wife to dinner and movie that nite....!
I should have documented it, but it was a rush, since he was visiting from southern Calif. Yep, it fit his finger and tan line...! Fun!
Here's a good story....
My first recovery this year was also a man's wedding ring. The lady in the picture is the man's second wife. He had lost it spreading mulch in the garden. The bad part is he was wearing his ex-wife's wedding band in its place. Needless to say she was none too happy. She may be smiling in the pic but she gave him a look as she took the ring from my hand and said "I'll be getting this re-sized." He also gave me a reward. I also took my wife to dinner. The best part is he gave me permission to hunt a piece of property that yielded many first for me including my best find ever! A Confederate States Naval button from an officer's uniform. It's amazing what a simple good deed gesture can do.
20230504_114408.jpg
20230520_125422.jpg
20230524_102406.jpg

pjad57

Apr 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s the chance the earring is in one of the sidewalk slab cracks?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE GOING !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread