Lost Civil war Gold, What would you do to find?

B

Bowman

Situation:
Lost stash of Civil War gold coins on a side of a mountain. Somewhere in a hole covered with a rock.

I know the general area where the Treasure Tale puts it. Now What would be the best way to find it. Any Ideas?

There was a large skirmish on the side of the mountain so I figure to start with my MTX and look for relics from it to help put me in the general area. If I can find evidence of a skirmish. It would then lead me to believe the Tail may be true. If I have no luck with my MTX finding the gold because it is in to deep of a hole or there is to much rock covering it, but do find evidence of a battle what would you do next?

Attachments

• image1 (10).JPG
    image1 (10).JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image8.JPG
    image8.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 17
  • image3 (1).JPG
    image3 (1).JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image1 (6).JPG
    image1 (6).JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image1 (1).JPG
    image1 (1).JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2091.JPG
    IMG_2091.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • matronheads1.jpg
    matronheads1.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 40

Highmountain

Mar 31, 2004
New Mexico
I suspect that gold must have been Union Army, since there was so little of it in the South. The Union military records are a lot more thorough (and readily available) than those from the Confederacy, so if I'm figuring right you could probably get a good idea about the skirmish (even if there was no gold involve) from the military correspondence records in the US Archives. Someone almost certainly had to explain to his commander what happened to that gold.

Good luck,
Jack

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
? :-? If the "burial" is too deep for a regular "md", then it's time to break out your "trusty ol' 2 box !
Them "dudes' go way, way down!
Depending on the "target" 20 feet or more!
? ?:P? Or if you are really loaded with money, you could buy a GPR !
Just! Let me know when you are thru with it! (The GPR!)
I could sure use one myself!? ?;)
cptbil

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
Break out the 2 box?? I had a 2 box and I couldn't get more than 4 feet out of it on an air test of a van.? I have some friends that could do no better than that with their's either.? I sold mine and bought a middle of the road large coil PI detector.? I could get 8 feet on the same van with it.? Do people really get 20 feet with a 2 box?? When I bought mine, the ads for all the 2 boxes at the time claimed 9 feet.? No one I've ever known got anywhere near that with a 2 box.? I would recommend a 1 meter coil PI detector for extreme depth on a larger object.
boattow

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-...19-0006&coll=monograph.raw&page=within.simple

Interesting link above to actual Civil War correspondence where you can "Search within The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. / Series 1 - Volume 6 for:"

This is the search page, I searched for gold, silver, money, paymaster, Huntsville, Gen. Mitchell, etc. with no reference to this lost trove, but that is not surprising. this is a great resource for original research for anyone wishing to find CW relics, places of engagements, etc. If this site has a thread for good research tools, would someone please let me know? If not, how can one be started? Thanks!

S

shamre

Badger Bart said:
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-...19-0006&coll=monograph.raw&page=within.simple

Interesting link above to actual Civil War correspondence where you can "Search within The war of the rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. / Series 1 - Volume 6 for:"

This is the search page, I searched for gold, silver, money, paymaster, Huntsville, Gen. Mitchell, etc. with no reference to this lost trove, but that is not surprising. this is a great resource for original research for anyone wishing to find CW relics, places of engagements, etc. If this site has a thread for good research tools, would someone please let me know? If not, how can one be started? Thanks!

Any recommendations on web links for researching civil war battles, encampments, etc. I am new to this and not sure how to go about researching such things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread