Lost Dosimeter-Ideas?

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am joining a team of folks who have set a dosimeter in a pvc pipe under a pile of stones to test for light luminosity exposure and they need help locating it.

As I understand it has a flat copper piece about the size of two pennies with a bit of solder on it, hanging vertically in a pvc pipe under a pile of stones. The copper could be up to 18” deep.

I am using an equinox 800. I was planning on using the large coil in park 1 or field 2 with highest sensitivity and try different angles of approach. I have the 3 sizes of coils and, of course, using headphones. I wondered if there was an advanced setting that would intensify the copper sensing? I am open to other suggestions.

Quite honestly, I have been pretty good at random detecting finds and not as good at finding specific lost objects, so I am feeling a bit of pressure here and hoping we are successful!….Although sometimes the details of the losses have been pretty sketchy…

Thanks for your input!
Kim..RI..headed to VT

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am joining a team of folks who have set a dosimeter in a pvc pipe under a pile of stones to test for light luminosity exposure and they need help locating it.

As I understand it has a flat copper piece about the size of two pennies with a bit of solder on it, hanging vertically in a pvc pipe under a pile of stones. The copper could be up to 18” deep.

I am using an equinox 800. I was planning on using the large coil in park 1 or field 2 with highest sensitivity and try different angles of approach. I have the 3 sizes of coils and, of course, using headphones. I wondered if there was an advanced setting that would intensify the copper sensing? I am open to other suggestions.

Quite honestly, I have been pretty good at random detecting finds and not as good at finding specific lost objects, so I am feeling a bit of pressure here and hoping we are successful!….Although sometimes the details of the losses have been pretty sketchy…

Thanks for your input!
Kim..RI..headed to VT
I have never heard of such a thing as a dosimeter But not I'm scratching the noodle as it appears it's not for testing light luminosity exposure.

A dosimeter is an instrument used to measure ionizing radiation exposure(via alpha or beta particles, neutrons, gamma rays, or x-rays) in a science called dosimetry. It is an essential tool for people who work in situations where they are exposed to radiation

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let's see.....two penny size objects, in a pvc pipe, under a pile of stones, and perhaps 18 inches deep.......sorry, I got nothin
That’s what I am afraid of!

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have never heard of such a thing as a dosimeter But not I'm scratching the noodle as it appears it's not for testing light luminosity exposure.

A dosimeter is an instrument used to measure ionizing radiation exposure(via alpha or beta particles, neutrons, gamma rays, or x-rays) in a science called dosimetry. It is an essential tool for people who work in situations where they are exposed to radiation
Yes, I don’t know much about it and everything I found was medical related…so not sure how this thing works…just know they want to find it and it is made of copper and some solder!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I don’t know much about it and everything I found was medical related…so not sure how this thing works…just know they want to find it and it is made of copper and some solder!
Serious question.Does this dosimeter emit any radiation? Any radioactive elements to it? If yes,perhaps a Geiger Counter would be the better choice of detector. I don,t know anymore about them than you do.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if the item is one solid copper piece, 18" down is probably a bit beyond the detection limit of the Nox, even with the 12 X 15" coil. If you have the Coiltek 15" round, that MIGHT help a bit, along with trying the single 4kz single frequency, and running the sensitivity up as high as you can stand. A high end gold machine, like a GPZ7000 would probably hit it, if you have one or can borrow one. Some of the other ones.....GPX 4500, 5000, 6000 with a big coil, might also, along with various large coil PI machines. Good Luck!

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Multiple stone piles on the site?
Age would determine a newer /more recent arrangement it seems by varied hues and condition. A disturbed looking pile vs one that has been standing for more years. (?) Real recent if not disturbed by others should show disturbed spots where stones were gathered from if stones are scattered more than the whole site with a solid layer of stone.

My first curiosity would be in if some stones in the area ring up as iron.
I'd likely run no discrimination and bump up sensitivity. But stones that give signals would offer difficulty that way. Till on site and testing though , hard telling.

Might get a peep at that depth. How accurately as to trying to determine copper...
I'd be likely just to note any deep hit as worth investigating.

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Serious question.Does this dosimeter emit any radiation? Any radioactive elements to it? If yes,perhaps a Geiger Counter would be the better choice of detector. I don,t know anymore about them than you do.
I am you-tubing OSL technology (Optically Stimulated Luminescence) to learn more about it. Still trying to grasp it, but you propose an interesting thought about radioactivity. I will have to ask about that. I thought it measured such vs. emitting such…but I don’t really know… Thanks for giving it some thought!

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Even if the item is one solid copper piece, 18" down is probably a bit beyond the detection limit of the Nox, even with the 12 X 15" coil. If you have the Coiltek 15" round, that MIGHT help a bit, along with trying the single 4kz single frequency, and running the sensitivity up as high as you can stand. A high end gold machine, like a GPZ7000 would probably hit it, if you have one or can borrow one. Some of the other ones.....GPX 4500, 5000, 6000 with a big coil, might also, along with various large coil PI machines. Good Luck!
Thanks very much for your ideas, cudamark…I do not have a high end gold machine nor a PI machine, but will keep that in mind to suggest.. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Multiple stone piles on the site?
Age would determine a newer /more recent arrangement it seems by varied hues and condition. A disturbed looking pile vs one that has been standing for more years. (?) Real recent if not disturbed by others should show disturbed spots where stones were gathered from if stones are scattered more than the whole site with a solid layer of stone.

My first curiosity would be in if some stones in the area ring up as iron.
I'd likely run no discrimination and bump up sensitivity. But stones that give signals would offer difficulty that way. Till on site and testing though , hard telling.

Might get a peep at that depth. How accurately as to trying to determine copper...
I'd be likely just to note any deep hit as worth investigating.
Thank you, relevantchair,
Here in RI we do have a lot of iron in some stones (Cumberlandite), but was hoping VT stones would not be so inclined. I’ll have to speak more to them about the process of setting this in the pile of stones…How many stones did they have to move? How likely is it for us to look for the pvc pipe and find it? Might someone have found it and removed the whole thing?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks for your input!
Kim..RI..headed to VT

Thanks for your input!
Kim..RI..headed to VT
Well, we did a search yesterday and was successful…but using the metal detector was not helpful. The signal did not come through…The metal piece was about 12 inches below the stones..but even when exposed, did not get a signal. Fortunately just persistent stone uncovering revealed it based on calculations of placement a year prior.

Attachments

• 2CCA775D-FAA8-4BFA-8EB9-5ECA0E2B6746.jpeg
    2CCA775D-FAA8-4BFA-8EB9-5ECA0E2B6746.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going glad you found it.

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good going glad you found it.
Thanks, Gare! We were too or else it would have cost another dosimeter and a year’s time…

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you
Thanks, Gare! We were too or else it would have cost another dosimeter and a year’s time…
If you lived closer we could have tried my Minelab GPZ 7000

1CompassGirl

Tenderfoot
Aug 10, 2022

Thanks for your input!
Kim..RI..headed to VT
Put your stethoscope up against a tree and tell me what you hear you should hear a heart beat then put your back up against tree once you've made contact with the tree then ask it where the coach is located it will tell where it can be found

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if someone around you has a JW Pulse 6 or 8 x.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions