Lost Douglas C-49 in Alaska

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
So I recently came across this old news story while I was browsing the Google News archives, and thought you all might find it interesting.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...&pg=5308,4364715&dq=ship+wreck+treasure&hl=en

Basically, the story states that in Feb. 1943, a US Army Douglas transport plane took off from Fort Nelson, Alaska with 14 passengers and $200,000 in cash. It was supposed to fly directly to Fort Simpson, but never arrived.

After checking the validity of the story, I discovered that there really was an aircraft reported missing that fits the description. It was:
Date: Feb. 5, 1943
Type: Douglas C-49
Serial Number: 43-2004
Unit: ATC
MACR Number: 15247

So, maybe the story is true. Maybe there is a crashed Douglas C-49 with 14 dead bodies and a whole lot of cash just waiting for somebody to find it.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are posting that involve two other found Army plane crashes, I think they are diffrent than this one. I too could be wrong. One was a short story written very well about a young man searching for an Indians goldmine...the other was dealing with actual pictures on top of a mountain but I think both were B-25s.

OP
OP
allen_idaho

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
It was indeed located. While I was looking further into it, I discovered this bit of info:

On September 22, 1948, the wreckage was found near Fort Nelson high above Tuchodi Lake where it hit the mountainside with great force, disintegrated, scattered and burned for over a mile. Much of the debris was buried four to six feet under rockslides and although eleven bodies were recovered, there was no record of the missing cargo

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
allen_idaho said:
It was indeed located. While I was looking further into it, I discovered this bit of info:

On September 22, 1948, the wreckage was found near Fort Nelson high above Tuchodi Lake where it hit the mountainside with great force, disintegrated, scattered and burned for over a mile. Much of the debris was buried four to six feet under rockslides and although eleven bodies were recovered, there was no record of the missing cargo
I think I'd put a 'winky wink and a raised eyebrow after that last sentence or just make no mention of it and go hunting .
If it really wasn't recovered , there's a sizeable chunk of change out there mebbie still securely sealed
in a well built military box .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread