Lost/found wedding band success story on Oahu

Jay Plunder

Aug 18, 2009
Southeastern, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stationed in Hawaii(Oahu) and had deployed to the Middle East in 2004. I met my current wife who also served in the military. Upon my return to Hawaii from Afghanistan, we became engaged. We enjoyed scuba diving and going the the beach all the time. I had proposed to her with a ring, although not real expensive($1000), it was ours.

One day she dyed her hair, took her ring off, and I put it on my necklace. It remained there for several days until one day we went to the beach, specifically Kaneohe. We were chest deep in water when she said I should take my necklace back to the truck, just in case it broke. I had her undue the clasp, grabbed the necklace and PLOOP the ring slipped off into the water. Waves crashed around as I frantically searched. For 3 hours I searched...no luck. It was gone even though the water was really clear.

A month later we read about Metal Detectors that work in the water. We located a Whites MD dealer in Pearl City who gladly allowed us to rent a MD, and a scoop. Off we went to search. It was extremely doubtful that we would find it, but I was determined. A month of waves crashing onto sand can bury/move most objects effortlessly.

Once at the site, my memory was horrible so that compounded my chances. After aimlessly sweeping for 30 minutes, I decided to go slow and methodical in sweeps similar to the method used to mow a lawn. After 2 hours, and after cleaning out numerous pulltabs and small coins....I found the ring! We were ecstatic! We returned to the Whites dealer dude and he was surprised to see us back so early. "Gave up already, huh?" he said. "No sir, I found it. And by the way how much is this thing? I want to buy it."

Finding a ring on Hawaii beaches is common. He was extremely surprised we found THE ring. Needless to say, we bought the MD, took it home, and I have been hooked on the hobby since.

Two great things blossomed out of this experience: a ring that now has a story, and an interest in the exciting hobby of Metal Detecting!

Hope you enjoy this TRUE story!
J

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great results for the persistence you showed. Welcome to the site, and I hope you find many many more rings.

Pictures are always nice too. If you size them to about 640 X 480 they are nice to view and don't take up to much room.

But if you don't do pictures the story is great anyway, and congratulations on your new MD based relationship.... :)

Baja181

Apr 9, 2009
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:love7: :sunny: Awesome story!!!!! I even got a little teary eyed! Welcome and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread