Lost in the 1856 disaster, and rediscovered today!

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. Who's ready for some history? Gather round my friends for a short story.
It was back in 1852 when our local lake (now used for boating and other recreational sports) was created. It was specifically made to send water down a brook called "The Catacunemaug" (cat-a-cune-i-maug). Along this river where a few mills that would now receive water from the lake for power. Along this river where a few saw mills, some shoddy mills, some blacksmith shops, train bridges, and even a small village. However, one day in 1856, something bad happened. The dam that controlled the water output from the lake broke! The river flooded and became a raging torrent destroying anything in its path. OK. maybe that's a TOO bit dramatic... but the flooded river did end up destroying "four bridges, five milldams, two blacksmith shops, the sawmill and a railroad bridge."
(come on though. Only four years and the dam breaks! I bet no one ever hired that company to make their dams again!)
Here's the source in case you want to read up on it more:
Read more: Fields and farms still contain the remnants of town history - Nashoba Publishing Online

So anyways, the mills and other things were a total loss, and basically were abandoned and left to rot.
That's when I came along and discovered this little path going of the side of the road. I'd been down there a few times, and never thought much of it. There was an old bridge, and that's it. Or so I thought. But today, I took my new waders (found at a yard sale for FREE! Score!) and went across the stream to the other side of the bridge. After all it had fallen down, so obviously you couldn't go over it. On the other side was a narrow path that went through the woods, and leaded towards this drop off. At first I thought, "another bridge?" as I got closer I saw rocks "Oh yes, probably another bridge" And closer YES! it's another old bridge!. Looking down it though, it really wasn't a bridge. It was actually this man made canal with the sides lined by huge stone walls. :icon_scratch: Cool I thought, but what is it? It turns out it is a canal that connected to the main river and created small ponds for each individual mill. (Can't wait to go back and hunt the place!)
Then I waded around in the river, and while nothing promising on the surface, I bet there are some old bottles underneath. Getting ready to go back, I cam across this huge timber off to the side off the river. The thing is, it had iron parts on it. It turns out, it was part of a humongous water wheel, from one of the original mills that got destroyed by the flood.

I'll try to go back later and get more pictures, but as some of you know I've been having real rough times with my cameras. I can explain in detail if you want. But man, what a history rich place! Can't wait to go back.

The bridge:

101_0917.JPG 101_0918.JPG 101_0919.JPG 101_0920.JPG

A milk bottle from the river:

IMG_0054.JPG

A rock: :dontknow:

101_0924.JPG

Upvote 11

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have a great adventure in front of you. I hope you can track down some old relics.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Free waders at a sale that don't leak?
You're doin alright...l.o.l..
Have you figured out what kind of mill power wheel(s)? Overshot, undershot or tub style...
Mill ponds were gathering places.
If not from the public in general during summer at least from their customers.
Mill grindstones were redressed often but sometimes broke and may be discarded around there..
Great area ,congrats.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! No telling what you will find!

I always wondered about the "old tavern" in Shirley.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There is treasure there. I bet every user who views these pictures will feel the same way.

It's precious space, please be kind and gentle :) Patience, and planning! I know on the first few trips I'd want to sample all over the place. Then you get to know the place and see the potential at each spot. Then you'll know how to approach it!

Good luck!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like your onto a heck of an adventure!!! Keep us posted!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be in like a mini heaven with that history. Take your time and get it all.

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know right? Actually TWO pairs of wader boots, good quality too, and neither leaked.
As for the mill wheel, I really don't know. It had seen much better days and was in pieces, but the scoops were made out of iron, and were at like a 145* angle.
I might be able to bring one home in a few days, and that might help ID it.

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry. I totally know how precious this spot is. I'm thinking I'll start by clearing the overgrown trail, and then clear out all the junk that's in the canal. Then it's hunting time!

There is treasure there. I bet every user who views these pictures will feel the same way.

It's precious space, please be kind and gentle :) Patience, and planning! I know on the first few trips I'd want to sample all over the place. Then you get to know the place and see the potential at each spot. Then you'll know how to approach it!

Good luck!

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! No telling what you will find!

I always wondered about the "old tavern" in Shirley.

Yeah. I can't wait!
Is the old tavern you're talking about by any chance the Bull Run restaurant?

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably, it's in my notes some place. It is amazing how history just hides in plain sight as something else.

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone!
I got back from the site again. I took some more pictures and metal detected some. As it turns out there are huge trees in the canal that are going to be impossible to remove, so it looks like water will never go through it again.:laughing7: One of the ponds the canal goes to is off limits, however there is a smaller pond that I can go to which I'll have to check out. As for treasures, none! Just an old nail and some rusty cans and buckets.

The canal:

SAM_0282.JPG SAM_0283.JPG SAM_0284.JPG SAM_0285.JPG

junk:
SAM_0286.JPG

Oh yeah! And did I mention I found dead body parts?
SAM_0287.JPG SAM_0288.JPG SAM_0289.JPG

Animal parts, of course! The skull is cool, and I'm going to go pick that up later for sure!

This is the path that goes to and from the bridge. It's very narrow. The bike is shown to scale.
SAM_0291.JPG

The weird thing is, this narrow path leads all around the site, and takes you over all these big holes and gulleys, and flat areas, obviously man made, but no coins or anything. Nothing to prove people spent a lot of time here.

Whatever, I'll keep you updated as the adventure progresses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread