Lost in translation..... :(

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
Stopped in a Chase in my city's Chinatown yesterday and asked if they had 1/2's. Teller says "How many you need? - we have $850" and of course I reply "All". I asked if they were machine-rolled or hand rolled and she said they were brought in by a customer, and made a hand wrapping motion, so I was thrilled, thinking perhaps I had found a huge collection. The Chinese are great merchants and diligent savers, and maybe this was some old fellow's collection that his granddaughter had found - who knows! So I fork over the cash and they bring out these two dog-eared boxes containing what APPEAR to be machine wrapped rolls. Except for the fact that they were all opened on one side :( So I took a roll and tried to tap the coins out - they were firmly in place, and I didnt see how it was possible to get these coins out without destroying the wrap - they were TIGHT. Even though all the other boxes I've gotten were wrapped on both sides, I'm still new to this so maybe this was somehting I hadn't seen. Well.... $500 in and straight skunk, as all of you veterans are expecting. At this point I am guessing I got someone's dumps, but HOW the hell did they do it? I will check the other $350 and report back, but I am thinking that buying machine bags is a better way to go at this point - boxes are extremely stingy for the effort - though to be fair someone buying machine bags after I have been there is getting MY dumps, so, who can say?

Bah. >:(

Upvote 0

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
That's the slit and peak technique. Slit the edge with a boxcutter and bend the edges of both ends of the roll away from you,look inside and check the edges. If you don't find any silver the roll remains tight, and it does not have to be re rolled.
HH
Rich

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
That does sound unique may try it I open the one end now with a nut pick lol doesnt take long then smash back down.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
There is no mystry to the technique. But it is frowned upon by veteran CRH's as it's a sure way to ruin your day on the recieving end.

You can pick one end open with your finger nail so the roll is compleatly rolld out and smooth on one end only. While grasping the roll with your left hand use your right thumb to push the coins out. It helps if you push of center to tilt the coins once they are tilted they slide right out. After searching slide them back in with the coins tilted / angled. press them in to flat and you can roll of fold the end back over. Some hunters who dont have machines to dump use this method.

For those who do this it would be nice if you draw a thick black line down the side of the repackaged roll to tip off other hunters and force the bank to ship them back out to be reprocessed by the carriers.

Mojo

OP
OP
tenseventyfive

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
Yup i tried it on two of the ones already opened and you can in fact get the coins out. I am wondering if it's even worth it to open the rest as it seems pretty apparent I have someone's returns. I am probably going to just deposit them in my bank without touching them and keep on ordering. I am a bit disappointed but I have learned something here - handrolled, machine bags, then ordered boxes seems the order of priority here.

ah well!

always more silver down the road - i hope!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread