Lost my mind at the not so Insane Asylum..

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TNet! Had a few hours to kill yesterday. Kids were with some family friends, and my wife was working. So I did some searching on my 1899 map of the area where I would be handing off the kids. Turns out that there was an Asylum built in 1880 and torn down in the 1970s. Of course thats where Im going!

asylumcemetery_fullsize_story2.jpg

TMD 3 024.JPG

Well I get there and the place is MASSIVE! There is a cemetery in the corner. Dont worry I didnt dig there.

TMD 3 015.JPG

TMD 3 016.JPG

One headstone No. 19

TMD 3 019.JPG

Started out in the grassy area but the ground is rock solid. Still has not rained in a while. I go for a walk to the opposite side of the cemetery where there is a creek and softer ground thankfully. Out pops this. Not sure if it is from the asylum or not, just dosent look old enough. Independent Lock Co.

TMD 3 038.JPG

These must be tho. Love square nails.

TMD 3 035.JPG

A hoe, my first.

TMD 3 028.JPG

A whatsit?

TMD 3 033.JPG

That was all on the main Asylum grounds. I decided to go for another walk and get into the woods that were near by. And hopefully softer ground. This is where I lost my mind. Found this structure (The Sanctuary) with a few really big trees near by..

TMD 3 005.JPG

TMD 3 004.JPG

Lots of amazing signals but I kept drawing a blank.. literally 12.5 of them. My new personal best.

TMD 3 029.JPG

Then the mind effer for me...

TMD 3 010.JPG

TMD 3 009.JPG

I REALLY REALLY thought it was a cylinder to a revolver. I was super excited so I spent an hour trying to find the barrel in the same area...

Then I find this not 5 feet from the SPEED LOADER!

TMD 3 026.JPG

A CROW BAR! REALLY?!?
Definitely thought I had found the barrel..
Called it quits after that. Long day but still an awesome hunt for me.
I will definitely return after it rains.

Thanks for looking
HH to everyone!
TMD

Upvote 26

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting finds. Kind of like finds from a Clue game.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! That crow bar looks like it saw some heavy use.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to believe you found a loaded speed loader. I can understand an unloaded one. But when I carried a revolver my speed loaders were secure in leather holders. Maybe security dropped it chasing a bad guy.

I used to work at a juvenile correctional facility that had a cemetery. The graves were offenders and staff who died during the 1918 flu epidemic.

Interesting spot to hunt. I know these places have a bad reputation, but before good drugs, mental health disease was damn near impossible to treat. Even with good drugs some mental illness is still difficult to treat.

Sorry, got on a soapbox. Cool hunt.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding that loaded speed loader, well, that's just CRAZY! The Sanctuary woods look promising for some cool finds. Love the way you think. Let's go metal detect the Insane Asylum!:o:tard::laughing9:

Shane508

Sep 19, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That loader is an awesome found, especially the fact that it's still loaded.

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was hunting nearly everyone I saw was walking their dog. Im going to assume that whoever lost the Speed Loader lost it walking their pooch. It was about 10 feet from a pathway next to a GIANT maple. The crow bar does have a big bend in it so someone was working it pretty hard. I will absolutely spend some time around the sanctuary, maybe get a little bit further away. Thanks for all the replies, this community is an awesome one to be apart of :)

Thanks, HH
TheMilDetector

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YOU FOUND CAPONES LOST ROOM .CALL GERALDO

Top Member Reactions