Lost New Portage Village and Indian Village

hightone2014

Dec 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way before the city of Barberton was founded there was an area located in the vicinity of of Wooster Road and the State Street bridge that was used by Native Americans and traders as a "carrying place". The exact location of trails have been lost to time (as I understand it) but lucky there is some documented history of the area.

Portage village was established in the early 1800's but the area was traveled hundreds if not thousands of years prior by Native americans. Recent hunts in the area have yielded mid 1800's indians heads, cuff links, rings, pocket knifes and some cast iron household objects. The only area able to be searched now is the thin stretch of land between the Tuscarawas river and the Ohio-Erie Canal. The area is now under the States control.

Anyone from the area have any more information about the history of this area? Here sometime this week I am going to head the the local museum and see if I can not dig up some more information on the area. The 52 aerial map of this area show people were living in the thin stretch of land which are no longer there.

lesleygalaxy

Aug 23, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
You may want to read part of this book. I found it on Google books: Historical Collections of Ohio: An Encyclopedia of the State ..., Volume 3
By Henry Howe
https://books.google.com/books?id=8...A#v=onepage&q=ohio new portage indian&f=false

It mentions the Old Portage trail used by Native Americans and attempts to describe its course.

Screenshot (1).png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread