Lost Your Car Keys Lately?‏

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
After a meeting several days ago, I couldn't find my keys.
I quickly gave myself a personal "TSA Pat Down."

They weren't in my pockets. Suddenly I realized I must have left them in the car. Frantically,

I headed for the parking lot. My husband has scolded me many times for leaving my keys in the car's ignition.

He's afraid that the car could be stolen. As I looked around the parking lot, I realized he was right.

The parking lot was empty. I immediately called the police. I gave them my location, confessed that I had left
my keys in the car, and that it had been stolen.

Then I made the most difficult call of all to my husband:

"I left my keys in the car and it's been stolen."

There was a moment of silence. I thought the call had been disconnected, but then I heard his voice.

"Are you kidding me?" he barked, "I dropped you off!"

Now it was my turn to be silent.

Embarrassed, I said, "Well, come and get me."

He retorted, "I will, as soon as I convince this cop that I didn't steal your damn car!"

Welcome to the golden years..............

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't stop laughing! This is funnnnyyy! Still giggling! Great! Can't stop giggling!!!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have locked my keys in the car several times. Never had to call a locksmith but twice. These later vehicles are a little harder to get open with a wire clothes hanger! I carry a spare key with me in my other pocket. Growing up I learn to not trust the little magnetic key holders that you stick under the fender and such. A bunch of the guys were always talking about checking under the fenders and even crawling under the cars looking for them.

The Jeep GC I have now, bought used, had a spare key bolted on the back side of the electrical plug for the trailer hitch. I had the car for just a few days, was back in Texas, and locked my key in the car. I remembered seeing the spare. Took some time to locate something to use to loosen the bolt that held it. All of my tools were in the Jeep! Borrowed a pair of pliers from a guy parked next to me when he came out to get in his car. When I bought the Jeep, the dealer told me there was spare key, but it was at the home dealership about 70 miles away. I picked it up when I got back from Texas!

Before that incident, I had not locked myself out of my car since back in the mid to late 90s. That's when I started carrying a spare in my pocket.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Never did.I always carry a spare in my wallet.when out and about always give yourself a 5 second pat down.folding money in my left pocket,car keys right pocket,wallet left rear pocket,pocket knife right rear pocket.

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a post, just when I needed it most. :) A few months ago, I bought a new car. Tex, you know the scoop, smile. Anyway, I bought a used 2013 Yukon. There was only one set of keys, as the former owner had lost he other. I am pretty good at not losing anything (except my mind, once in awhile), so I was okay with it (the one set). Humph! Turns out, I lost the only set, a few days ago. After turning he house, garage upside down and inside out, as well as kids backpacks, purses etc..., there is still no trace. So, I looked for apps that could possibly locate the sensor in the remote to trigger the alarm, to no avail. Went to the dealer with my vin # hoping they could reproduce a set, on spot. Nope. Had to have the vehicle there, to do it. Yesterday, I had a flat-bed come out, but they could not do it, as the steering wheel was locked. Next tow-truck (different style) couldn't do it either. Our locksmith said he could get me a set of keys, but that he dealer would still need to program them, with the car there. So, my question, to all of you so-electronically-inclined and highly-skilled masters out there, can you help me, pretty please, with an FOB on top???

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny. I haven't done it in a while, but a few years ago I was hunting in an area I wasn't too familiar with and I shot a deer. Instead of dragging it out to the road which was at least a mile I decided to pull my truck down through the field by the wood line. I did this no problem, however I locked my keys in my truck. Luckily I had AAA, but when it came to my location when the lady asked I literally had no clue. I didn't even know the road I was on. Using Google Earth or something she was eventually able to find the road I meant and I met the tow truck driver on the road and he unlocked it. I rarely ever locked my keys in my car, but when I did I made it count.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The only way to unlock the wheel is to pull the ignition switch.To start your car without the keys(without ruining anything) requires a few tools and a little know how.From the ignition switch there is a rod that runs down the steering column(the actuator rod)to the actuator switch.when you turn the key the ignition switch pushes the actuator rod down pushing the actuator switch and your car starts.the actuator switch is mounted on the bottom of the steering column,usually 2 bolts hold it in place.unbolt it and you should be able to take the actuator rod off of it.push the switch and your car will start.the actuator rod in my car broke,its a 20 hour job to replace it.its staying as is:laughing9:Luckily it broke when I turned the key to start my car and it left my steering wheel unlocked.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gee, I'm not sure what to say. A locksmith could open the door, but with no key, what good would that do? Well, is the door open? Have you looked inside the car for the keys?

James Red is right about the rod that controls the switch, I think. So much has changed on the later models, it might be different on yours. I have had to replace the switch he's talking about. It was mounted on the steering column down close to the floor. I had to take the steering column loose at the dash and drop it down onto the seat, to get to the switch. But, I don't believe that will unlock the steering wheel. It's unlocked by the key when it's turned; has nothing to do with the switch that's down on the steering column.

Maybe a locksmith could 'pick' the lock so you could drive it to the dealer? As the old saying goes: 'It's complicated'.

Let us know how it turns out! Maybe someone else on TNet has some ideas. Hope it gets better quick!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The gap between seat and console in my truck is a mysterious void I check when something is missing, usually laying against rail. The rear floor under/behind seat and along seat rails. Heck it could be something lost in the house and end up there.:icon_scratch:

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys! I bet I could find Don Jose's Tayopa easier than these darn keys. :) I am headed out with my pinpointed and Garrett 250 to see if they can handle the job.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Mastiff4me,

Try retracing your way in to the house. Sometimes I set mine down to feed the dogs, or do something else outside. Check the rear bumper, that's one place I usually set things on. Check the pockets of the clothes you wore that day, or the purse you used that day.:dontknow:

When my daughter locked her keys in the car, the man who came to unlock it told me that in an emergency, and you just have to break glass, break the windshield, it's a lot cheaper to replace.

Homar

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've only locked myself out of a vehicle once ...

I was doing a repo in the projects at dusk in August. Didn't realize I had done it until I had loaded the furniture on the truck and tied it down. Now, this old Injun was white as far as the residents were concerned, and I quickly became the center of attention. Fortunately, some of my misspent youth and its training kicked in. Two wedges in the back of the truck made quick work of the top of that door and one of the clothes hangers that were left in a dresser was stiff enough to pop the lock on that 96 Ranger pickup. Took all of about 10 minutes to get in.

All those days prowling the parking lot at school finally paid off well. No, I didn't steal stereos ... as a senior I had half days, find someone who locked their keys in the car and I usually had a ride home or at least enough for a soda pop waiting for the next class to end and try again.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a post, just when I needed it most. :) A few months ago, I bought a new car. Tex, you know the scoop, smile. Anyway, I bought a used 2013 Yukon. There was only one set of keys, as the former owner had lost he other. I am pretty good at not losing anything (except my mind, once in awhile), so I was okay with it (the one set). Humph! Turns out, I lost the only set, a few days ago. After turning he house, garage upside down and inside out, as well as kids backpacks, purses etc..., there is still no trace. So, I looked for apps that could possibly locate the sensor in the remote to trigger the alarm, to no avail. Went to the dealer with my vin # hoping they could reproduce a set, on spot. Nope. Had to have the vehicle there, to do it. Yesterday, I had a flat-bed come out, but they could not do it, as the steering wheel was locked. Next tow-truck (different style) couldn't do it either. Our locksmith said he could get me a set of keys, but that he dealer would still need to program them, with the car there. So, my question, to all of you so-electronically-inclined and highly-skilled masters out there, can you help me, pretty please, with an FOB on top???

Just look for a tow truck driver willing to drop the drive shaft, and tow it to the dealership. I'm sure the dealership can handle that. That way it doesn't matter is the steering is locked.

Homar

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Homer. You rock!!! As do the others who have responded. I really like the repo story!!! Shoot! Almost worth losing those keys for!!! Smile.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find a gang banger in your area, I'm sure he could get that car started no problem. Then you can drive to the dealership and your good to go!!! Good Luck.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn them keys! They're probably hiding, watching you, and laughing at you!
Yes, the drive shaft could be removed and the car could be towed to the dealer. I don't know of any vehicles that have an enclosed drive shaft like some of the older vehicles. Most drive shafts have 4 bolts/nuts securing it to the rear end/differential. If the emergency/parking brake is applied, it might have to be disconnected also.
Is the door unlocked so you can search inside the car? If it's unlocked, I'm sure you 've already searched, but there are so many little 'nooks and crannies' undr the seats in the modern vehicles. I dropped a dime between the seat and console in the Jeep a while back. I haven't found that dime yet!

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn them keys! They're probably hiding, watching you, and laughing at you! Yes, the drive shaft could be removed and the car could be towed to the dealer. I don't know of any vehicles that have an enclosed drive shaft like some of the older vehicles. Most drive shafts have 4 bolts/nuts securing it to the rear end/differential. If the emergency/parking brake is applied, it might have to be disconnected also. Is the door unlocked so you can search inside the car? If it's unlocked, I'm sure you 've already searched, but there are so many little 'nooks and crannies' undr the seats in the modern vehicles. I dropped a dime between the seat and console in the Jeep a while back. I haven't found that dime yet!

View attachment 1052966

View attachment 1052967

View attachment 1052968

I guess the possibilities are endless. :)

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've actually had that happen, you can take your metal detector and scan your pet if you think the keys might be there. Mine was a ring, but anything is possible! :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions