Lots of Chatter

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent the day out metal detecting at my mothers house. The house as it is now was built in the 1950's but the foundation is older than that though. I was figured it would be a good spot for coin shooting and maybe some relic hunting. The problem is however that everywhere I scanned I would get a hit! The detector was just going crazy. I checked the ground balance and did a ground grab. I notice that the mineralization meter on the F5 was showing a lot of FE so I notched that out. This was a problem however as I wanted to relic hunt as well. Even with this done I was still getting a lot of chatter and a lot of false hits. I must have dug at least six holes that once the plug was removed the detector failed to hit again on the hole or on the plug.
The property is located next to a lake and while the beach is a quarter of a mile down the road the soil here is rich and appears to have a lot of sand in it. It also appears to sit on top of a layer of rocks followed by a layer of clay. This place was a real challenge with the F5 I have only about 15 hours with this machine and even though I have had a lot of success with it on other soil types I am sure that it is potentially my inexperience that is making it difficult to detect on this property.

I didn't come away empty handed though! I found a match box car, two dimes, a glass marble (not sure how that happened but it was right there in the hole) and a steel washer.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Upvote 0

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be emi? Above or below ground wires? Any nearby transformers?

OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually yes there are power lines over the backyard where the chatter was really bad. They are a good 20 feet off the ground though! Sorry I am new to this is emi electro magnetic interference? Is there anyway to deal with the things you mentioned to eliminate the chatter?

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure on the f5 at pro I can change frequencies some times it helps !!!! chug not always Though

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Change frequencies, reduce sensitivity, you can try notching if it falses at somewhat consistent vdis.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's surprising how far emi can affect some detectors. I've been in areas with overhead lines that prompted me to move much farther than one would think.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread