Lots of clad or few old coins

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes I hunt places where there is lots of clad, and a chance at something old, other times I opt for the spot that has very little clad, but I have done well on older coins. Today I hunted an old home site, that has been giving up IH cents, a couple Mercs, a few silvers, and some other old stuff, and it is in the foot print of our Fairgrounds/County Park. This is my go to spot, being over 300 acres of park that goes back to the late 1800's, and I have pounded it for the last two years..................... today 3 hrs 1 coin............1900 IH cent, Happier than if I dug $10 worth of clad!! 102_8430.JPG 102_8431.JPG

Upvote 4

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great that you have 300 acres of accessible land to hunt - getting harder to find these days (or they're off limits )
nice IH find .

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that's why I say it's not about the finds. It's about proving out a theory/plan.

Doesn't matter if it's clad, or piece of bling or a corroded coin. It's going for what we're
looking for and finding it, proving ourselves right that it was there. Smiles all around!

Ya know what's fun? Challenging oneself to go to a place that should be modern stuff
and trying to find that isolated pocket of finds from an era before the place existed.

Nice Indian Head! Looks like the ground was fairly kind to it too! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It did clean up pretty good, with soap, and water. Our Michigan farm land seems to be kind to the older coins.......................except to those stinken Lincolns:laughing7:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd rather find a wheatie than a bucket full of clads. Thing is, the clad keeps building up, and eventually pays for new pinpointers and headphones, and so on. I'm just happy to be out there focused on the hunt. Every signal is a potential banner find!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad holds no excitement, it's still in our pockets. It's the long gone coins that get me excited. Even Wheaties are still fun for me, but the older the better!

OP
OP
cooper1841

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd rather find a wheatie than a bucket full of clads. Thing is, the clad keeps building up, and eventually pays for new pinpointers and headphones, and so on. I'm just happy to be out there focused on the hunt. Every signal is a potential banner find!
I dig plenty of clad, and have rolled up a couple hundred bucks, this year, but the old stuff keeps me going!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there done that, feels like 400,000hrs finding nothing and all of a sudden bam, that nice old coin shows its face, makes it all feel worth it!

Nice IH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread