LOUISIANA MEDALLION SOCIETY COINS OR DOUBLOONS

Mar 2, 2010
We have a set of 6 of what we assume are "silver commemorative" coins or doubloons issued by the Louisiana Medallion Society.
They are enclosed in a hard plastic case which measures approximately 5 inches x 6 inches and which has a gold sticker on the front which states: "Crafted by Capital-Finest Quality".
The focus of the 6 "coins" or "doubloons" are as follows:
(1) LaSalle-commemorating the "claiming" of territory drained by the Mississippi River as "Louisianane" for France on April 6, 1682
(2) Napoleon-commemorating the "Louisiana Purchase" on May 2, 1803.
(3) Louisiana Strikes Oil-commenorating the discovery of oil in Louisiana at Jennings on Sept. 21, 1901.
(4) Leymoyne Brothers-commemorating the colonizing of Louisiana in 1699 by Iberville and the founding of New Orleans in 1718 by Bienville.
(5) Battle of New Orleans-commemorating the "Battle of New Orleans" and Andrew Jackson defeating the British on Jan. 8, 1815.
(6) Huey Pierce Long-commemorating "EVERY MAN A KING" and Huey Long.
We would like any information which can be provided on this item and in particular the following:
(A) Any information on the Louisiana Medallion Society.
(B) Any information about this item in general.
(C) Any information as to whether the "coins" or "doubloons" are "silver" or "silver coated".
(D) Any information as to this item's value.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Long, Huey-Louisiana Medallion Society coins-front.JPG
    Long, Huey-Louisiana Medallion Society coins-front.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 533
  • Long, Huey-Louisiana Medallion Society coins-back.JPG
    Long, Huey-Louisiana Medallion Society coins-back.JPG
    320.1 KB · Views: 517
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a few references to these sets being donated to several Louisiana universities around 1969 - 70. No pics or specific info, though.

Also found reference to the society in a Louisiana Library Association book from 1970. It doesn't look like they were in business very long.

I would guess the medallions are silver clad but I have nothing to back up my guess.

DCMatt

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I found this:
Date: ?
Subject: Jennings Discovery Well - 1901 / Birth of Louisiana's Oil Industry - 1 of a set of 6 from the Louisiana Medallion Society
Classification: Commemorative Medal
Denomination: N/A
Composition: 0.999 Silver
Diameter: 39mm
Edge: .999 FS 333
Designer:
Mint:
Mintage: ?
If nothing else, it might indicate your collection is silver.
Don.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread