Louisiana Purchase Exposition

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Garrett GTI2500, GTA 500 Ultra, Garrett Propointer
While not found today, this necklace pendant was found on my last hunt, this past Sunday. It measures 1" wide by 1 1/4" in height. It was found in a milo field where an old house once stood. The back is smooth and the front reads "Louisiana Purchase Exposition" followed by an image of a building. Below the building are the words "Liberal arts Bldg." and then "St. Louis 1804". I know this little brass souvenir of the St. Louis worlds fair is not worth much money, but the thought of how it got here really grabs me. This house site is located about 80 miles east of St. Louis. In 1904 it would have been a major adventure for a family to go to St. Louis from here. They would have to ride a wagon or buggy 8 miles to Kinmundy, flag down a train that would take them to Centralia, and then transfer to another train to St. Louis. They would probably have made arrangements to stay with relatives or friends while there, and then more time on the train to get home. This necklace was probably some child's cherished memento of that trip. I am glad I was able to find and preserve this little bit of history.
Charles

Attachments

• Louisiana_3.jpg
    Louisiana_3.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 333
  • Louisiana_1.JPG
    Louisiana_1.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 318
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Charles:
And if that child actually went into that magnificent "Palace of Liberal Arts" he/she would have seen such interesting objects as models of famous lighthouses, the great coin collection from the British Mint, exhibits of fine photography, and an extensive display of musical instruments. China made a large collective display which included ancient books and carvings, rare trophies from the Chinese temples, fantastic Chinese armor and weapons. Graphic arts was also installed in this building. Modern printing machinery of all kinds was in operation. An engraving plant and lithographic presses were shown. Another exhibit showed the development of the typewriter. Germany make an exhibit of fine printing, specimens of photography, maps and models. The great organ in the Festival Hall was classified as one of the exhibits in Liberal Arts.
Don.......
Source: http://www.jdcollectorspage.com/1904Fair.html
PS: A great little 'footprint of history' you found. Congrats

OP
OP
phs3194

phs3194

Apr 11, 2009
Kinmundy, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Garrett GTI2500, GTA 500 Ultra, Garrett Propointer
Thanks for the kind words, and Mackaydon, thanks for the link. That display would really have been something to see.
Charles

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really great find you have ! I like you really love the things that bring history to life !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread