Louisville Parks Taboo need your help

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Going to try to copy and paste an Email I received from one of my hunting buddies who has been trying to get to the bottom of this. He has been ask to leave the parks on two different occasions with the threat of calling the police and having him locked up. It worked the following is his Email.

The Monday before Thanksgiving the Parks Dept decided to (run) us out of the Parks and decided it was against the law to detect there. We have communicated with the Director and his assistant and are still waiting for a reply from them as to why we suddenly are banned from our hobby. They have even threatened us with police arrest if we do so. Do you have any suggestions from your club or anyone that may assist us in this endeavor. I have hunted for about thirty years without any problems. I will give more details as we get into this if you do have some help for us. This is Louisville, Ky Metro City Parks Dept. that is giving us the problem. I have talked with the Mayor and it seems about everyone and we are put on the "hold" until they decide to answer but are to wait on detecting until then. Thanks for your help. Yours in Christ, Eddie Black P.S. We carry the Regulation 42 on Parks and Cemeteries and find nothing at all about detecting. They say it is destroying the turf that is the issue and are calling the money and stuff (relics) The chapter 42 says natural resources. not coins or jewelry or bullets of all kinds.

He has asked me to call or Email my city alderman and try to get something done about this. Let me know how many of us will do so that way we are more than just a few.

Thanks Jim

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Sounds political. Look for a recent change in staff, and or look for someone within the organization that can now detect without 'fear' of his/her finds falling off due to competition from the public.

Not there, so can't offer any real help. Sorry!

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
I experienced this same thing about a year ago. I was told that metal detecting was not allowed in the parks. So, I wrote the Louisville Parks Department. The response that I received is similar to what you indicate from the city ordinances - no destruction, etc. The letter indicated, to paraphrase - "if you can metal detect within these paramiters, then have at it" or some such. Hmm, is cutting a plug in the sod and replacing it after obtaining the piece of trash (or whatever) destruction???

At any rate, I just have not gone back to that park where I was approached by the Parks Dept. employee, but have gone to other city parks without any problem.

There may be detecting clubs in Louisville, but I'm not familiar with any that are so well organized that they could take it upon themselves to educate the Parks Department folks and the city council.

Keep us posted on what you find out,

Lookin

PS - the Parks employee who approached me to tell me it wasn't allowed went on to suggest that I go to a city owned house (historic) and that no one should bother me there. :icon_scratch: I went to check the place out - would be great detecting - but it is posted, "No trespassing - keep out!" So, I didn't go there, I just went to a different park!

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
this is part of hb117 by representative Meeks that i spoke about,a little over a year
ago or so,everybody laughed about it and some person from (california)!?!? kept
telling people on this forum that it was nothing??? makes me wonder.

mark

birds5

Greenie
Jun 13, 2006
I just talked with a person on the phone last night, (12/17/08) about this problem with the
metro parks of Louisville, Ky. and metal detection within the parks. It sounds like we all better
stand united in this great hobby and form a club backing our interest and our desires. Everyone
also needs to write to there mayor Jerry and there local councilman, and lets invite them to a
training session on the fine art of metal detecting and the use of a metal detector.

Jim

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Bird5,

What is the "problem" they expressed about detecting in our parks? Anything in particular?

Thanks,

Lookin

OP
OP
JimmyT

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
The latest I have is that we are banned from detecting in the city of Louisville parks. The reason giving is that we damage the sod and the employees are to report us to there supervisor and then the police will be called. We called the police department and they said that if they couldn't see any damage that there is no other law they could arrest us for. If there was damage its only a misdemeanor but just going through the hassle is enough.

( It sounds like we all better
stand united in this great hobby and form a club backing our interest and our desiress. Jim )

Jim we have a club here, where in the process of changing the name though and have contacted the Federation which we are also members and this is not over by a long shot.

Our club holds no regular meetings at this time we all just have each others phone numbers and when you want a buddy to hunt with we just call. A lot of us are retired so someone is always ready to go. We enjoyed going to the parks to search for the deep stuff and once in a while its a goodie. If anyone is interested and would like to join just PM me for the contact numbers.

Will have updates when available
Later
Jim

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave your backhoe at home and you should be alright. Hunted a many of parks around here and never had a problem.

Good to hear from you Jim hope all is well brother.

Tom

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt Cherokee Park and so far no trouble but I usually go early on Wednesdays.

Buddy~

OP
OP
JimmyT

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Goodyguy said:
I hunt Cherokee Park and so far no trouble but I usually go early on Wednesdays.

Buddy~
I think it is hit and miss right now but one of my buddies has been ask to leave Shawnee Park twice so far. Like you if I want to go to a park will do so and just see how it goes. Like I told my wife they can't eat me just ask me to leave if they see me.

Later Jim

OP
OP
JimmyT

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
weldermark said:
Mark,
Its a shame most of the country don't see the advantage in using us as assets instead of someone to be afraid of. I don't know what they think we will find that would be so important to them.

Later Jimmy

kindafoundabuckle said:
Leave your backhoe at home and you should be alright. Hunted a many of parks around here and never had a problem.

Tom

Tom,
Nice to hear from you how are you doing ? Doing OK on this end and glad to see 08 over.
Later Jimmy

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JimmyT said:
weldermark said:
Mark,
Its a shame most of the country don't see the advantage in using us as assets instead of someone to be afraid of. I don't know what they think we will find that would be so important to them.

Later Jimmy

kindafoundabuckle said:

Tom

Tom,
Nice to hear from you how are you doing ? Doing OK on this end and glad to see 08 over.
Later Jimmy

Brother you said it Im also glad 08 is over what a rough year!!!! (Me and JimmyT ran into each other at the hospital one day! What are the chances?) We going to get out and do some digging on (your end of town) this year? I really hope so! I still have a blue handled digger in my car that belongs to you Jim. I have not forgot about it.
KFB

OP
OP
JimmyT

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Tom, I have you Civil War Books put away so nothing happens to them. Will try to get together so they can be returned would hate to have to replace them. But this time lets not meet at the hospital. ;D

Later Jimmy

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey the Indians got your car Jimmy,lol. Nice car you have and now the arrowhead,Great Finds :thumbsup:.

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
JimmyT

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
nova treasure said:
Hey the Indians got your car Jimmy,lol. Nice car you have and now the arrowhead,Great Finds :thumbsup:.

Nova Treasure

Thanks Nova when my children were little we would go walking the river banks and fields for hours my oldest has most of the items we found but this one I kept.
Built the car about 15 years ago and they are never finished going to try to put power windows in this winter if the time allows.

Later Jim

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's one sweet point you kept Jimmy. :thumbsup:

I was just wondering if you had found that point recently or not?Went to make a post and my question was answered.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread