Lousy Summer -- but finished with a Largie

nach0s

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
...Was a stinker summer for detecting up here in the Northeast. Blazin record heat nearly all summer (90's+) kept the motivation down.... you'd be drenched in sweat after 10 minutes and parched thirsty in about just as much time.

Only went out a handful of times with my buddy past few months.... he managed to pull a Seated Liberty quarter and a Barber dime earlier in the season. It was looking grim for me, all I had to show was a blackened and bent up Merc dime found on a beach after a nasty Nor'easter storm.

This weekend was cooler and more comfortable so we decided to hit a place in the woods I'd seen while biking. Saw some stone walls and a few rock piles....figure it may have been farm or grazing land at some point. Mosquitoes werent too bad, terrain was not too "forest-y", so we could swing without hitting 10 shrubs. And there wasnt much litter, only a couple old beer cans.

20 minutes in and I hadnt found much....just a couple old pieces of metal.... I walked towards my buddy to see how he was doin'.... nothing for him either. I told him I'd had some junk hits and to keep the faith, I still felt good about the place.

Standing right in front of him and next to a pine (maybe a 30 yr old tree) I got a nice hit with the White's. "Here we go, now we are talkin'...." I told him. Was getting a solid 83 to 85 quarter signal on every swing, clean and tight, no noise around it.
Pinpointed at about 5", swung a few more times and pinpointed at 3.5". Told him this one had to be somethin', he said to dig something good and give him a confidence boost about the place.

Said I'd do my best, dug in the soil, real dry and old... clump of needly stuff on top, easy dry digging underneath. Took another swing, still in the hole, so I dug the trowel deeper and dumped it on a rag. Swung over hole and nothin', so we're in the pile now. Brushed the dirt a bit and saw a nice thick round large coin, real brown, either a colonial or large cent.

Brushed it up a bit to find sweet Lady L and her hair in a bun. It started flaking right away, but underneath it looked even better. Cleaned it up at home with some shots of WD-40 and a paper towel.... 1848 Coronet Head. Nice detail and a crisp coin, must've been dropped when new.

Sorry for the pic quality, I only have a cell phone camera, but hope you enjoy.

Don't give up even when on a down season, all it takes is one good signal and the year can be a winner.

Hope you enjoyed the little story, good luck to all. Keep the head high and swing low.

- Nach0s

PS While I was out hobbying on September 11, a lot of people were feeling a lot of sadness. Liberty is not free, my prayers and thanks to all those who have paid and lost dearly and all those in the military, so others can live in freedom, God Bless and God Bless America.

Attachments

• Front-before.jpg
    Front-before.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 275
  • Back-Before.jpg
    Back-Before.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 287
  • Front-after.jpg
    Front-after.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 282
  • Back-after2.jpg
    Back-after2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 283
Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Find!
kudos to you for woods hunting in the NE heat,
I keep my cool swingin in the coastal mud !

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net !! nachOs :icon_pirat: big copper coins are ok , in this forum . Sorry about your summer , aside from the bug population trying to eat me alive ::) , I will miss summer :icon_sunny: , having the best one in quite awhile. :thumbsup: CMDdawg

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, the Texas heat has made it hard to get out and hunt this summer, and we even had a cooler summer than most...last year my hometown had a record of back to back days of 100+ heat, it was 48 days...add in the fact that the dirt in most of the places I hunt is like concrete and you've got a pretty bad time, in fact, the only good thing about the dirt being so hard is older coins aren't as deep and clad sits right on top.

Good luck to you all, hopefully fall comes quickly and lasts a long time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions