Love Those Tree Roots

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tree roots on sloping ground is a great place to find things. Just yesterday there was a 1935 Buffalo nickel and a 1943 wheat on each side of a 1" root......nice.

Last week I got a strong 61 signal on my AT Pro on a root and decided to dig it. 4" depth indicated. Dug it through 3 crisscrossed roots mostly taking the dirt out by hand. The pinpointer said it was directly below a 1 1/2" root but I could not see it. Dug a couple more inches and now have a fully open (except for the roots) hole 6" deep and about 7" wide. Propointer was going crazy in the same spot on top of the root. It then dawned on me to feel the underside of the root. Sure enough there was some of the beaver tail part of a pull tab sticking out of the root on the bottom! :BangHead:

The rest of the tab was IN the root. The root evidently did a bulls eye through the loop of the tab and then grew around it.

Hopefully I will never run into that situation again. WAY to much effort!

Tom

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good story Tom.:icon_thumright:

If it wasn’t for pull tabs, what would to complain about? Oh yea, can slaw, bottle caps, hard ground, and tree roots. Silly me, how could I forget about all that stuff.:tongue3:

Well, I hope I never make a find like yours. To much work for so little pay.:icon_scratch:

GL&HH

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story Tom.:icon_thumright:

If it wasn’t for pull tabs, what would to complain about? Oh yea, can slaw, bottle caps, hard ground, and tree roots. Silly me, how could I forget about all that stuff.:tongue3:

Well, I hope I never make a find like yours. To much work for so little pay.:icon_scratch:

GL&HH

How about glass shards, poison ivy, snakes, ants, dog or cat land mines? I recently hunted a sight fairly fruitful with alot of cat litter just under the surface. The grass and weeds seem to grow over before cat liter disolves. Quite the adventure! Now hogzilla and friends been spotted just outside of the Big Easy. Alot of friends!! Another hunt, I first noticed ugly holes, I was sure were sloppy plugs that weren't replaced. Then someone said "thats hogs Ray". With groups of 10-15, they can tear up some oak tree roots!

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive found some good stuff hunting tree roots and sloping drainage areas-it really traps the light silver coins and rings when it rains heavy, thats one of the 1st places i look for-HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread