kenscott

Aug 25, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum SL
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All,

Just thought I would drop a note and let you know I am a half dollar hunter myself. Over the last 10 months or so, I guess I have searched around 30 boxes or so of halves (Brinks and Strings and Sons).

I wasn't averaging a lot of silver but do have a nice collection of proofs and NIFCs. My most prized coin I found is a 1972-D No FG.

The bank I was getting them from stopped ordering saying it costs them money each time they ordered. I was highly disappointed seeing how I was only average about two boxes every two weeks and that I dumped my halves at my LCU. Also, I told the head teller a number of times I appreciated it and that I did not want it to be an inconvenience. She told me it was fine, that she did not mind, and that it costs the bank the same amount for each delivery if halves were ordered or not. Then, a few months later, she said a higher up told her not to order seeing how it was costing the bank money. So, I am not sure who was correct but I am still disappointed.

Anyway, I am now wondering if a bank would order me halves if I do not have an account with them. If I find one that will order, and yet require an account, I think I will take some funds from the previous ordering bank and open the new account.

Has anyone else here has this type of thing happen to them?

Upvote 0

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of hunters have their supply taken away just as you describe. After a long time of "it's no problem, glad to do it, see you next week, etc" it turns into "the fees are too high, we can't hold that much coin in the vault, the coin service is complaining, etc." Find another source. Be upfront with them when you open an account. The way I do it is:
Me: "I have very unique banking needs." That always piques their interest immediately.
Them: "What are your unique banking needs."
Me: "I need a lot of coin on a regular basis."
Them: "Why?" - some variation of "are you a business?, etc"
Me: "I am a collector and need the coins for my hobby."
Them: "That's no problem."
Me: "Do you need to check with the tellers?"
Them: "No, no need."
Me: "Can I pick up my coins next?"

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bank Of America will order you a million dollars in nickels if you have an account with them. I search halves sometimes but my luck has been with dimes and quarters,Jan 2012 i recieved 19 silver dimes in a single roll.Its a crap shoot when CRHin,some days i get good silver other times i get absolutely nothing.Ive recently started studying valuable coins and collecting some of them instead of just scrapping them for silver,Good luck out there and happy hunting.

OP
OP
K

kenscott

Aug 25, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum SL
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the information on Bank of America. I may go by this week and see what they will do if I open an account with them.

BTW, do you know which carrier they tend to use?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread