jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I apologize for posting this here but I'm not sure where this actually belongs...

Picked up this unique "Love Token" today at a Pawn Shop! Supposedly its rare because it has both sides engraved as opposed to just one side. It's carved into a silver dime. I wish I knew an approximate year or if there was a way to determine which style of dime it is made from.

http://www.vamworld.com/file/detail/IMG_2013.JPG
http://www.vamworld.com/file/detail/IMG_2014.JPG

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Nice work. I hope you didn't pay too much. It isn't that rare to have both sides tooled. I collect Love Tokens. Initials/Letters are the most common. Finding nature work (flowers/animals) is very desirable. I know a lady dealer out of Sarasota that deals only in Love Tokens.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice one! My buddy and I were dirt fishing a private yard this fall, he dug a nice love token scribed on a seated dime. They seem to be popular mid to late 1800's.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I apologize for replying in advance . :D

Two sided love tokens are scarce compared to the vast majority where only one side was engraved. I was lucky enough to find a quarter that has both sides engraved, and way back in the late 80s a knowledgeable individual with the Love Token society gave a great presentation at our monthly club meeting and had a super slide show with all the different love tokens that are out there. I did get an offer from him, but it is just something too hard to part with. Found when a local lake was drained back around 1989 or so.

Attachments

• 1890LoveToken.jpg
    1890LoveToken.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 1890LoveToken.jpg
    1890LoveToken.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 276

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Nice post here. The younger CRHers should learn more about these "love Tokens"
rileyboy

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beaut! 1890s: The foundation of Industrial America; Railroads and Economic Expansionism; Entrepreneurs; Workers and Industry; Evolution of Labor Organizations; Conflict in the West & Native Americans; Mining and Agribuisness; the beginning of the new Urbanization; Women on the Move; the Populist Party; Silver, yes Silver as the currency issue; the Spanish-AmericanWar; US Becoming a World Power; the Gilded Age--exposing corruption.

So much history in that decade. I would have loved to have been there to see the exchange of that love token. What those folks could have told us and what we could have learned.

apush :read2:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apush said:
That is a beaut! 1890s: The foundation of Industrial America; Railroads and Economic Expansionism; Entrepreneurs; Workers and Industry; Evolution of Labor Organizations; Conflict in the West & Native Americans; Mining and Agribuisness; the beginning of the new Urbanization; Women on the Move; the Populist Party; Silver, yes Silver as the currency issue; the Spanish-AmericanWar; US Becoming a World Power; the Gilded Age--exposing corruption.

So much history in that decade. I would have loved to have been there to see the exchange of that love token. What those folks could have told us and what we could have learned.

apush :read2:

Now that I know what APUSH stands for, we have alot in common. I am an absolute history buff, it fascinates me to no end. I really
only have one regret in life and that is my path I took for a career. If I had to do it all over again I would pursue my Masters degree in
US History and become a teacher. Congratulations to you on your job, I envy you.... :notworthy:

Most people look at coins as silver, I see an old coin and my mind instantly starts to wander. Where has this coin been, what has its owner(s) seen, has anybody of western fame ever touched/used the coin and so on. A coin library is actually an documentary of US
history if you dig deep enough. Most coins depict a major event in the history of the United States, Franklin, Kennedy, Lincoln and
so on.

If it helps, I am going back to school to get my Bachelors degree in Management, might have to have a few history classes as electives.. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread