Low latency earbuds - unboxing and quick test

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I made this video on my channel for some people on another forum and wanted to share it with you all too. I’m testing a regular pair of non-low latency earbuds vs a brand new pair of SoundPEATS low latency earbuds. I did my best to have you hear the lag, which was a big pain when I was out in the field. These new earbuds are spot-on.

Brett

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for doing this test as I'm considering those earbuds for the summer heat. However, I couldn't hear a thing, but that could be my old age at play...

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Did you watch the vid before posting? LOL, must not have. Will take your word for it.

geo

Prius

Sep 3, 2011
I have my iPad audio maxed out. Can’t hear anything when you pass the target under the coil.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched it. It’s hard to hear but it’s audible. It’s the best I could have done. Sorry!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s harder to hear the SoundPEATS “beeps” but just listen closely and you’ll hear it perfectly. It doesn’t always sound off on the ring every time I pass it by the coil. But it shows the hits 100 percent. Not sure how you can’t hear anything, but maybe try earbuds to hear it better instead of the speaker on the iPad? Like I said, it’s low, but you can hear it and definitely see the advantage of low latency.

70ss454

Greenie
Feb 23, 2019
Vernon, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, you would just pair them. The wireless module, WM08, is for using wired headphones without connecting them directly to the 800, but through the WM08...

The earbuds appeared to be wired in the video so thats why I asked. Thanks for the quick response.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can other people hear the tones? I just want to make sure it’s not only me. I know it’s low, i just want to make sure you all have a useful video.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, sorry the sound is barely audible, but frankly, no video convincing should be needed to prove that use of anything other than APTX LL is not a good way to go for detecting.

You generally can’t go wrong with APTX LL buds regardless of brand, no need for comparison test videos, it is just a fact. Anything other than APTX LL Bluetooth is basically unusable due to excessive lag, even non-LL APTX headphones/buds. As long as whatever you are using gives you the Bluetooth symbol with a “+” sign on your Equinox display (indicating APTX LL pairing), you should be good to go. As an aside, I have found the Soundpeats “Engine” APTX LL buds to be superior to the Sound Peat Q12+’s in audio quality, plus the small neckband of the Sound Peat Engines that rests on your collar provides more stability during detecting with less tendency for the buds to fall out of your ears as you move your head around or kneel to recover a target. Plus they are a dollar cheaper than the Q12's! But the Q12's will get the job done, too. FWIW.

BTW maximum lag on BT is about 250 ms not "a second or two" but most people notice lags greater than 50 or 60 ms. For comparison, APTX LL is about 30 to 40 ms, APTX is about 60 70 ms, AAC is about 120 ms, and SBC BT is closer to 200 ms to 250 ms. The WM08 proprietary wireless receiver module (no bluetooth) that comes with the Equinox 800 is about 17 ms.

Last edited:

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried two different speakers on my computer, but could not hear anything.

Will take your word for it. Glad they work for you

Thanks for posting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread